Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT broke down this weekend

Hey guys been a long time since i posted. I was out this weekend on my rxt (havent been out in months). Went down and saw it had a full tank of gas so decided to take it out for a spin. idled out to the end of my canal (about 5-7 minutes) then as soon as i got out i gave it some gas and it reved to about 2500 and then stopped there and slowly went down until it died. Then i started it back up and was idling funny at about 700-800rpm then shut off and wouldnt restart. So i got towed back and took out my other identical rxt with a full tank and the same EXACT thing happened. Idk whats wrong. I but some fuel stabilizer in it and left it for a week while i tried to get a hold of my mechanic. came back today and fired the first one up and it started ideled fine for a minuted, flushing it out, then trickled down and shut off. So i took off both seats and theres smoke coming from around the carb area... smoke like a candle was burning. Strange. What do you guys think?

Try to add some fresh gas and replace the sparkplugs, I had the samething happend to me on [2] 05 rxt that i did not used for almost a year.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXTridr View Post
    Hey guys been a long time since i posted. I was out this weekend on my rxt (havent been out in months). Went down and saw it had a full tank of gas so decided to take it out for a spin. idled out to the end of my canal (about 5-7 minutes) then as soon as i got out i gave it some gas and it reved to about 2500 and then stopped there and slowly went down until it died. Then i started it back up and was idling funny at about 700-800rpm then shut off and wouldnt restart. So i got towed back and took out my other identical rxt with a full tank and the same EXACT thing happened. Idk whats wrong. I but some fuel stabilizer in it and left it for a week while i tried to get a hold of my mechanic. came back today and fired the first one up and it started ideled fine for a minuted, flushing it out, then trickled down and shut off. So i took off both seats and theres smoke coming from around the carb area... smoke like a candle was burning. Strange. What do you guys think?
    Were they stored outside? It kinda sounds like bad gas or water in the gas.

I just spoke to riva. He thought it could be the clutch washers.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Were they stored outside? It kinda sounds like bad gas or water in the gas.
    Yea outside on sport ports. Im gonna pump out the gas this weekend and clean/replace the plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP305 View Post
    Try to add some fresh gas and replace the sparkplugs, I had the samething happend to me on [2] 05 rxt that i did not used for almost a year.
    They both have a full tank . I have to drain it

+1
    I just spoke to riva. He thought it could be the clutch washers.
    Its not the washers. Yet! If you are still running the stock washers you should replace them before the do go.

Its not the washers. Yet! If you are still running the stock washers you should replace them before the do go.
    Yea i need to get those changed soon. But i found problem number 1! the clamp that holds the exhaust hose from the water box to exhaust outlet baffle rusted threw and broke. Only on the first waverunner that broke down though.

+1
    Yea i need to get those changed soon. But i found problem number 1! the clamp that holds the exhaust hose from the water box to exhaust outlet baffle rusted threw and broke. Only on the first waverunner that broke down though.
    You did mention seeing smoke. They wont run very well with smoke in the hull.

You did mention seeing smoke. They wont run very well with smoke in the hull.
    The smoke was from either the washers or the fact that the exhaust was openly circulating through the engine compartment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information