Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stock oil ratio question

I am curious to see what everyone opinion is on this.

The stock oil injection ratio for the 1300r is 30:1 according to Yamaha. 30:1 is 4.3 oz of oil per gallon.

Group K recommends adding 1 oz of oil per gallon of gas for 1390cc BB if keeping the stock oil injection system. This would be a ratio of 24:1 or 5.3 oz of oil per gallon.

Many people on here run different ratios. After talking with people and reading on here it seems popular to run 40:1 on a 1390cc BB. This is only 3.2 oz of oil per gallon. This is less than the motor runs stock. Oh course, the oil being used is Amsoil Interceptor or Dominator.

When running in the heat and humidity what type of premix is recommended for a bigbore? It would seem that because I have been running oil injection + the light premix I have been running way too much oil.

So how does it make sense to go from 30:1 yamalube stock to 40:1 amsoil premix?

Thoughts?

ok, the stock oil injection is variable. WOT for injection is actually 27:1 according to my manual supplement.

Interceptor oil is good for injected ski bc it is thin enough to pass thru the injectors. Dominator oil is heavier and is not recommmended for injectors. but used on the carb`d ski.

most folks are running 36:1 on the BB...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ok, the stock oil injection is variable. WOT for injection is actually 27:1 according to my manual supplement.

Interceptor oil is good for injected ski bc it is thin enough to pass thru the injectors. Dominator oil is heavier and is not recommmended for injectors. but used on the carb`d ski.

Thanks for the input! I was under the impression the 30:1 listed was at WOT from the 2003 manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Thanks for the input! I was under the impression the 30:1 listed was at WOT from the 2003 manual.
    Wow, that seems like a lot of oil even if only @ WOT. Before going premix my ski would go forever on a gal. I've asked opinions of many trusted tuners & heard everything from 32:1 to 50:1. Lowell & Jim both suggested 40:1, so that's what I use. I've been told that the racing oils like Dominator are thicker & the Klotz I've been using even more so. What I'm curious about is the effect temerature has on these thicker oils...ie is it recommended to use less oil when temps drop? Also, since oil displaces fuel & should cause a leaner condition when more is added, is it safer to have more lubrication or a fatter AFR?

That page from the manual...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP1300R.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	139597  

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    That page from the manual...
    hmmm.lemme check mine...

OK, in the GP1300R supplemental service manual on page E, it reads 27:1... maybe the one your looking at is for the 1200 pump and the supplemental I have is for the years 2005+ 1300...

I can`t snap shot the screen with the PDF file...

This is the front page of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP1300R.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	139618  

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Chris,

There are two things you might want to consider when choosing oil ratio. Pre-mix has a constant ratio, and oil builds in the crankcase at low rpm, and migrates up, during WOT runs. If your riding area allows for miles of WOT runs - then use a little more oil. The second consideration is compression. 175 psi and higher (220+) compression will move the premix oil thru the engine faster. This is why racers often use 32:1. High comprssion, and often, more piston to cylinder clearance.

I have run 40:1 premix in my sleds down to -25* with no problems. The engine makes big power at these temps. I have not seen any problems due to temperature, provided the premix was done in the can / jug, prior to being poured into the tank.

We have had good success with a 40:1 ratio. It is pre-mix, so you can adjust the ratio for your specific riding.

Lowell

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Dominator and the Interceptor oil is safe for premix or oil injection.
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/tdr
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/ait

The Klotz R-50 is not safe for oil injection systems. That is probably what you meant.

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Wow, that seems like a lot of oil even if only @ WOT. Before going premix my ski would go forever on a gal.
    My XLT would go forever on a gallon of oil as well, since I have switched to premix I have gone through almost a gallon in two weeks at 40:1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information