Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Yamaha 1200xlt

I have a 2001 Yamaha 1200xlt that has a hard time starting. It ran like a champ last season, but when I tried to start it up recently it wouldn't start. I have plently of GAS, and plenty of Fresh Oil. The battery has a reading of 12.56. When I try and start it up, I dont hear the normal loud beep, but I hear a noise coming from the starter area. Like it wants to start but nothing....

Let me know the possible culprit, pm me, or email me.

[email protected]

Thanks

Pull the plugs & check to see if your impeller spins freely. I've had two instances of where the impeller housing insert separated & locked up the impeller.

get the battery tested mine did that the battery was on a tender all the time but was bad i took it to a auto parts store they put a load on it, it was bad went to the oddessy batt.

Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    get the battery tested mine did that the battery was on a tender all the time but was bad i took it to a auto parts store they put a load on it, it was bad went to the oddessy batt.
    i got the battery fully charged about 2 months back. ITs been sitting in my room ever since. It still tests 12.56, but I didnt test it as I tried to start it.

Any other ideas?

+1
    Charge the battery it should read 14 volts after a charge lol.
    12.56 volts will drop when a load is on it and wont be enough to start your ski.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    I have a 2001 Yamaha 1200xlt that has a hard time starting. It ran like a champ last season, but when I tried to start it up recently it wouldn't start. I have plently of GAS, and plenty of Fresh Oil. The battery has a reading of 12.56. When I try and start it up, I dont hear the normal loud beep, but I hear a noise coming from the starter area. Like it wants to start but nothing....

Let me know the possible culprit, pm me, or email me.

[email protected]

Thanks
    check the battery connection, make sure it is tight, friends 07 gpr neg was just barely loose and it did the same thing, could also be the starter bendix is stuck, just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Charge the battery it should read 14 volts after a charge lol.
    12.56 volts will drop when a load is on it and wont be enough to start your ski.
    I hope this is right.. I will try and charge it again and get it up to the 14v

get it tested at the auto parts store it is free then you know......to start looking elsewhere remember look at the easy stuff first 2 screws and 2 straps battery is out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    I hope this is right.. I will try and charge it again and get it up to the 14v
    Put a voltmeter on the battery whille trying to start the ski and see what happens to the volts.........

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Put a voltmeter on the battery whille trying to start the ski and see what happens to the volts.........
    took the battery in to get fully charged.. only got it up to 12.88v. I hooked it up to the ski, and started it with the multimeter on there. Went from 12.88 to 9 then to 8.1.

I think this battery is toast.

The prices I got from a shop were about 52 for a non sealed, or 72 for a sealed. Is this good, bad?

Im thinking I really dont need a sealed, but what do you guys think. Is it worth the difference in money. thanks again for all the help...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information