Thread: Help - It leaks

Help - It leaks

We have a VX110 that is slowly taking on water. It is leaking around the metal joint plate where the shaft enters the hull. One of the 3 screws holding the plate down is stripped. Yamaha repaired a leak it same area under warranty 2 years ago - it appears like they stripped a screw and then just sealed it in with silicone.

We know we need to pull the motor and pump to get to the plate. If the screw wasn't stripped, from what I have read, we would clean it all up and then reseal the plate with marine tek. But, with the stripped screw, what do we do?

I talked with a local repair shop today and was quoted $600 - they said they would "glass" in the plate. I really don't want to cough up 600 bucks for something I can make my husband do plus we already have the marine tek at the house.

Help!
    CeCe

drill out the bad screw hole,tap it to fit a steel threaded insert, now use a new slightly larger bolt ...

im not sure about the space in the vx, but you might try unbolting the motor mounts, sliding the motor forward until your off the coupler,, then pull your pump, after that you should be able to unbolt and pull your intermediate shaft to work on the threads....

thanks - the husband seemed to understand. We also have 2 1200xlt's that we have put new motors in - this ski seems like it will be easier to pull the motor than the 1200's.

After thinking about it - would you want to have this joint plate permanantly glassed in? It seems like that might cause more problems later if you needed to remove it for some reason????? Just wondering - want to be able to make the right decisions about repairs.

CeCe

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc View Post
    thanks - the husband seemed to understand. We also have 2 1200xlt's that we have put new motors in - this ski seems like it will be easier to pull the motor than the 1200's.

After thinking about it - would you want to have this joint plate permanantly glassed in? It seems like that might cause more problems later if you needed to remove it for some reason????? Just wondering - want to be able to make the right decisions about repairs.

CeCe
    as long as you have two of the hole for indexing the 2 will pull down enough,just remove thur hull plate and scrub up both surface and wipe down with acetone,butter both surfaces with the marine tex you should be in good shape

have done a few

cd

Thanks - that's what we'll do!

Thread Information