Thread: mixing oils

mixing oils

I'm new to the sport, and am trying to learn the ropes. I got the expensive oil recommended by the dealer for my '01 polaris virage txi and '97 seadoo gtx and then found some similar oil at autozone for significantly cheaper. Is there any problem with mixing different brands of oil if they are both synthetic 2 cycle oil?

from what i've read there is no harm done by mixing oils of similiar make up. what i do to make sure is i put the two oils half and half in a glass jar and see if they separate. if they mix together your good, if there is a separation between densities than your not good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by winslowlds View Post
    I'm new to the sport, and am trying to learn the ropes. I got the expensive oil recommended by the dealer for my '01 polaris virage txi and '97 seadoo gtx and then found some similar oil at autozone for significantly cheaper. Is there any problem with mixing different brands of oil if they are both synthetic 2 cycle oil?

Should be fine. The main one that does not mix with other oils is the Klotz BeNOL oils. Watch out on the TXI with oils and make sure it is safe for the oil injections with the polaris. You do not want to learn the hard way and take out an injector and engine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by winslowlds View Post
    I'm new to the sport, and am trying to learn the ropes.

I got the expensive oil recommended by the dealer for my '01 Polaris Virage TXi and '97 seadoo gtx and then found some similar oil at autozone for significantly cheaper.

Is there any problem with mixing different brands of oil if they are both synthetic 2 cycle oil?
    Sea-Doo has a particular specification for the oil in many of their 2-stroke engines, API TC (low ash).

Polaris minimum spec oil is TC-W3 (ashless), and in the fuel injected engines, you want to use a good quality 2-stroke oil that is compatible with fuel and oil injection (your Ficht engine has both). Doesn't have to be Polaris oil, but good quality. Synthetic is better, of course.

My understanding is that API TC oil is not recommended for use in TC-W3 engines, and vice-versa.

Use Sea-Doo compatible oil for Sea-Doo, and TC-W3 or better oil for almost every other brand PWC.

Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar
    I have mixed tons of different oils in my snowmobiles and Sea-Doo's. I will do a "compatability" check before I put the new stuff in the tank however. Only oils I have had issues with are the Bombardier synthetics and Klotz synthetics. Got little gummy worms in the jar.

Thread Information