Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

virage won't run...

hi guys,i have a carburated 02 virage.she crapped out in the water the other day.i have put new plugs in it and i took the carb off and cleaned it.when i turned it over she still wouldn't fire up,i poured a little gas in the carb and she sputtered a little.any suggestions or thoughts on the matter is greatly appreciated.

I don't know why it would just stop working on the water, but the first thing I would do is check the battery. How high is the voltage reading, when cranking? Also, test all your connections. Make sure they are solid and not corroded.

I'm probably wrong, because I always am..... lol

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure you have spark? Stators sometimes take a dump. Is that a 700 motor? Check and empty your water/fuel seperator. I'm thinking maybe water in your fuel. Run a compression test and see were your at also.

i did compression check...they were at 145 both cylinders.the reason i think it is fuel related is when i dump a little fuel in carb,it sputter's a little bit.as far as spark goes,i will check it tonitewhen i get home.if the spark is weak,would that indicate bad stator?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are several things that can cause spark to be weak, intermittent or absent;

Weak battery - this is the number one reason for weak spark. Voltage while cranking must stay above 10.5 volts and a good battery will be 11.0 volts or higher, while cranking.
    Often the quickest fix for a spark problem is a new battery. Not all the time, but quite often

Loose, corroded or otherwise bad battery cable connections - remove, clean and check both ends of both cables

Corrosion or loose connections inside the electrical box.

Failed LR voltage regulator module - The CDI is actually powered by the Orange wire from the LR module. Check the voltage at the Orange to Red/Purple connector. This is the CDI power feed, and it must be above 10.5 volts while cranking.

On the two cylinder engines (2000 and later), both spark plugs fire together, every time, from a single ignition coil. Both spark plugs must be grounded in order for either one to spark properly.

Click the second link in my signature for links to more diagnostics.

447... the battery sometimes goes below 10.5 when cranking.but that wouldn't make it sputter and crap out when it is running would it?i thought once it is started the battery is out of the equation. the battery is only a couple months old.also, it seems to try to start when i pour gas in carb.that's what leads me to beleive a fuel issue.what do ya think?

matt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    ... the battery sometimes goes below 10.5 when cranking.

but that wouldn't make it sputter and crap out when it is running would it?i thought once it is started the battery is out of the equation.

the battery is only a couple months old.also, it seems to try to start when i pour gas in carb.that's what leads me to believe a fuel issue...
    Normally, if you have strong spark, a dribble of gas down the carb throats will cause the engine to actually start and run for a few seconds, not just sputter.

What exactly do you mean by 'sputter'?

Too much gas, of course, will flood the engine, and then it won't start either.

Make sure the plugs are clean and not fouled or wet. Install one plug, and hold the other to the head (clean metal, not paint) so you can see the spark. Spark should be strong while cranking. If you use a bolt head for ground, check with a meter that the bolt is actually grounded to the battery negative.

If the LR voltage regulator module has failed, you may not have any battery charging voltage, so the engine would try run on the battery power alone.

10.5 volts while cranking indicates a weak battery. If re-charging the battery doesn't bring that cranking voltage up, replace the battery.

You may have some other issue, but a weak battery can make you chase your tail.

the battery is only a couple months old,also where is the lr voltage module?when i say "sputter",it sounds like it going to start,but it seems when tthe gas burns off then it just turns over.i thought when i saw voltage go down a bit was because i was cranking and that was nornal. would a bad battery cause it to continue to run bad after it is started?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Did you check the water seperator yet?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    the battery is only a couple months old

...where is the LR voltage module?...
    New batteries can still be weak.

Charge the battery, and re-check the cranking voltage. If it is still below 11.0 volts, replace the battery

Both the CDI module and the LR module are normally inside the electrical box.
    2002 Virage? LR be in there, may be outside the box...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information