Advice first PWC Yamaha GP1200 Millenium

Hello, getting ready to buy my first ski, my buddies have Sea Doo XP's, but I am looking at a 2000 Yamaha GP1200 Millenium. Has 69 hours, always run Yamalube, guy is 39 so sounded pretty responsible, ski looks to be in really good shape, willing to take $3000. However, he has never had to do anything like change an impeller, wear ring, ect. What should I beware of, or be looking for? 69 hours seems very low, but is it getting to the age i should be looking forward to working on it every weekend? Is this a good ski? Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

Welcome to the board!
    hmmm, tell us a little about yourself, do you have mechanical skills/comprehension of basics?

I would be very surprised if the wear ring and impeller are in first class shape for it`s age and hours.
    you need to look over the entire ski and ask many questions. It is very possible the ski is all stock with no maintainence and it was time to move on for the seller!? 69 hours over 9 years is not much riding at all. I`d be more interested in how the ski was stored.

have the carbs been rebuilt?
    has the ski been properly stored and winterized?
    is there any documentation of the work performed?
    has the pump tunnel been reinforced?
    what does the overall ski look like?
    is the inside a disaster or looks to be kept? etc etc etc...

age of a person really makes no consequences when it comes to the care of a machine or it`s knowledge thereof.

is there a trailer included in this deal?
    lastly, if you are not that knowledgeable with the 2 strokes or ski`s in general, take a buddy along or maybe suggest having a dealer look at the ski... man it killed me to say dealer!

good luck with your findings...

+1

Welcome to the forum Jason!

I would:
    • Do a compression check, numbers should be in the 115-125 range
    • Make sure the Powervalve servo motor cycles. When you crank it, shut it off and the powervalve motor will cycle shortly open/close.
    • Look in the hull for any oil, with a 9 year old ski, the oil lines can/may pop off and cause a lubrication seizure.
    • Ask if the Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) has been replaced with a D-Plate; if not, I would suggest this.
    • Look to see if the OEM intake grate is still there. An aftermarket grate needs to be installed.
    • Take it for a water test, ride it. It should run roughly 62-65mph on GPS @ roughly 6900 rpms in stock form.
    • Inspect it for any hull damage or repair
    • Have the carbs been rebuilt?
    • Make sure all the functions work on the display.
    • Check the steering for any rough spots.
    • Check the trim function for any rough spots
    • Crawl under the ski and inspect for any cracks in the pump tunnel area.
    Last edited by RX951; 09-29-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks for you help guys; let me give you a little more info on the ski: It has been winterized yearly, fogged cylinders, ect, and is always stored in his garage. I have yet to see it in person, but he said it had the normal small scratches and such for a ski 9 years old. As far as work done to the ski, nothing at all. It is 100% stock, and he said he has never had one problem. Carbs never rebuilt, The pics of it are pretty good (as do all pics), it really appears to have been maintained. My approach was going to be doing a compression test, check the impeller, and other than that, take the guys word for it. I have a good friend that is pretty good with skis, works on his and his buddies Sea Doo all the time, plan on taking him with me. Talk to me about the pump tunnel; is this something that cracks on Yamaha's? Also, what about the Cat-Con? Is replacing this a must, or jsut help the performance? I have always heard Kawa's drink gas, should I expect this from the Yamaha as someone who isn't going to be running full bore all the time? I like to run 50mph or so, don't need to push it to the limit. Thanks for any help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason G View Post
    Thanks for you help guys; let me give you a little more info on the ski: It has been winterized yearly, fogged cylinders, ect, and is always stored in his garage. I have yet to see it in person, but he said it had the normal small scratches and such for a ski 9 years old. As far as work done to the ski, nothing at all. It is 100% stock, and he said he has never had one problem. Carbs never rebuilt, The pics of it are pretty good (as do all pics), it really appears to have been maintained. My approach was going to be doing a compression test, check the impeller, and other than that, take the guys word for it. I have a good friend that is pretty good with skis, works on his and his buddies Sea Doo all the time, plan on taking him with me. Talk to me about the pump tunnel; is this something that cracks on Yamaha's? Also, what about the Cat-Con? Is replacing this a must, or jsut help the performance? I have always heard Kawa's drink gas, should I expect this from the Yamaha as someone who isn't going to be running full bore all the time? I like to run 50mph or so, don't need to push it to the limit. Thanks for any help!!!
    very good...

yes, tunnel reinforcement is a must on the GPR. it`s not a matter of if, it`s a matter of when.
    Cat Con: they break up and fall down into the pipe.
    IMHO, I would at least pull the carbs and have them gone thru, a good cleaning and replace what`s necc, Osidebill is a good person to discuss this with...you don`t want to chance a lean condition and boom!

The ski should be relatively good on fuel...prolly a lot better than the carb`d XP`s...

Great information, I will tell you this has never seen salt water, on the pump tunnel, what should i look for to see if it is destroyed, or on its last leg? If it is, do i walk away, or is it an easy repair? As far as the intake grate, what is the issue there; assuming it is all stock, should i assume i need to replace this? By the way Pale, yes, it does come with a good looking trailer. Thanks!

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Is it a GP1200? Or a GP1200R? I know in 2000 they still made the regular GP1200, Not sure about the R.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Ahh, Just searched, and found out it's a 1200R...

#1 before you ride it pull the exhaust and change out all the small oil lines it is due for one of them to fall off the rear carb and cause engine failure. It only takes 2-3 hours and less than $50 and will save thousands. Do the D plate while the pipe is off. Look at the main fuel filer and if it is clean then the carbs should be fine. I don't see them get dirty like ths SD's do with the Tempo fuel lines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dank View Post
    #1 before you ride it pull the exhaust and change out all the small oil lines it is due for one of them to fall off the rear carb and cause engine failure. It only takes 2-3 hours and less than $50 and will save thousands. Do the D plate while the pipe is off. Look at the main fuel filer and if it is clean then the carbs should be fine. I don't see them get dirty like ths SD's do with the Tempo fuel lines.

Instead of changing all the oil lines, just go to premix. Save yourself the worry of those lines coming off or cracking. $10 for a block off plate. It takes about the same time to get your exhaust off and put the block off plate on your first time.

Thread Information