Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Trailer security

I found this really interesting looking lock from Fulton and I wanted to see what other people had to say about it... I'm looking for some constructive criticism opposed to the usual "if a theif wants it bad enough...." comments... I realize nothing is 100% guarenteed to work, but if we can make it harder or increase the chance of a theif passing it by because he's lazy or unskilled... I'll buy it!

This is a trailer lock that fits common 1-7/8 couplers. Well show you the operation of this lock, its pretty simple. It comes with a standard key, which of course goes in the lock, what this does is instead of being a push button this one actually threads in. It bottoms out at about that far. That way when you put it back in your coupler and try to pull it out, it binds against that and cant be pulled off the coupler. To loosen it, you obviously reverse the procedure. Thats all there is to it. Well demonstrate the operation of this on a common variety 1-7/8 coupler. It simply slides over this edge here, use the key as a screwdriver, and run it in as far as you can. When it bottoms out back out the key by a quarter turn, the key comes out, and the lock cant come off.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    1 7/8 inches is an old ball size. I don't think you see that size much anymore, except on very small utility trailers. 2 inches is the common size now.

I don't see much advantage of this lock over the other designs. Seems about the same, security wise.

All of these assume the thief can't tow the trailer without defeating the lock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    1 7/8 inches is an old ball size. I don't think you see that size much anymore, except on very small utility trailers. 2 inches is the common size now.

I don't see much advantage of this lock over the other designs. Seems about the same, security wise.

All of these assume the thief can't tow the trailer without defeating the lock.
    Yeah, your right... the product I saw was for 2", not the 1 7/8... I just copied and pasted the info from a site... good catch K447.

+1
    so what does everyone use?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I use this Master Lock Kit. All keyed alike.

There are other versions from Master Lock, and other brands.

There are some other threads on trailer security. Have a look in the GH Trailer forums.

Wesley Chapel, FL. Y L Isla Del Encato PR.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I use this Master Lock Kit. All keyed alike.

There are other versions from Master Lock, and other brands.

There are some other threads on trailer security. Have a look in the GH Trailer forums.
    Thanks for the advice on the Master Lock kit. I am buying one as that is what I have been looking for.

+1
    I use pretty much the same setup as above, w/the exception that my ball lock is of a diff. variety and so has its own key. But, like you said, if a thief wants it bad enough, he's going to get past the locks: My nephew lost the key to the barrel lock for the hitch latch. We had it off in under 60 seconds w/a hack saw...

If you feel your ski is exposed, you may want to check into the FIN system: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1567

+1
    Hi

I located this type of trailer lock. The advantage with this model is that you can use it when the trailer is sitting on its own or even when towed, so its a trailer lock that works 24/7. Has anyone got one of these and able to give a review on it?

http://oceanictrailers.com.au/hitchhelmet.php

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    FYI You still need to weld the 2 nuts to the bolts to the tongue on the trailer or all they have to do is take them off in just seconds and put another one on and they are out of there in less than a minute..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    FYI You still need to weld the 2 nuts to the bolts to the tongue on the trailer or all they have to do is take them off in just seconds and put another one on and they are out of there in less than a minute..
    Hah, I guess I'm not the only one who does that. If you had a couple big enough wrenches, you could snap the bolts anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information