Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

msx 140 stator voltages

I am having problems with my msx140. I have reason to believe the stator is going bad. This will be the third polaris that i have had one of these replaced in. I have a service manual and checked the voltages on the output of the stator coils and they do not match the book. Can any one help me here.
    I talked to Randy at Watcon and he said K447 is the best to ask. If you have any advice to offer It would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What measurements did you get for the stator?

Static coil ohms, AC volts while cranking?

What are the engine symptoms?

I was out riding last weekend and will running about half throttle the ski Stopped taking fuel. It will idle but it wont rev up. The resistance reading are .9ohms on all of the coils. The voltage readings were 13 volts ac + or- .5 of a volt.
    it will run ok one time and then noe the next. These are the same symptoms we had with my other 140 when the stator went bad.
    If you have time can you call me 717-577-9321
    Thaks Chad

Sorry I rechecked the measurments and the resistance is .8-.9 ohms and the cranking ac voltage is 9ac on 12-1 and 11-2 and 6 volts on the others.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by msx140-rider View Post
    I was out riding last weekend and will running about half throttle the ski Stopped taking fuel. It will idle but it wont rev up. The resistance reading are .9ohms on all of the coils. The voltage readings were 13 volts ac + or- .5 of a volt.
    it will run ok one time and then not the next. These are the same symptoms we had with my other 140 when the stator went bad...
    Sorry I rechecked the measurements and the resistance is .8-.9 ohms and the cranking ac voltage is 9ac on 12-1 and 11-2 and 6 volts on the others.
    Two stator coils show 9 volts AC, and three show 6 volts AC - correct?
    Sounds OK so far.

When it is not working properly, you squeeze the throttle lever - what happens?
    Does it just continue to idle, or increase in RPM just a little, and stay there?

When it is working properly, do you see full RPM (around 6800 RPM)?

Any pattern to when it does or does not run properly?

From what you have said so far, the problem may just be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, located at the rear of the throttle bodies).

Do you have another fuel injected Polaris PWC that you could 'borrow' the TPS from?

Tip: Do not over-torque the TPS bolts, or you can crack the plastic TPS body.

There is no pattern so far. I had it working last night for awile then this morning it wasnt. When you aplpy the throttle it just stays at idle. The problem comes and goes but it has no pattern. I will test the tps next. The only problem is now it is running right again. I guess Ill have to wait until it acts up. Thanks for your help so far.

+1
    There is no pattern so far. I had it working last night for awile then this morning it wasnt. When you aplpy the throttle it just stays at idle. The problem comes and goes but it has no pattern. I will test the tps next. The only problem is now it is running right again. I guess Ill have to wait until it acts up. Thanks for your help so far.
    If you don't have a spare TPS on hand, now would be a good time to order one. They fail over time from vibration, and can cause the symptoms you are describing, among others.

Just in case, try the following;
    Unplug the TPS, and use fine needle nose pliers to gently squeeze each of the three sockets inside the TPS connector.

Sometimes the sockets don't grip the mating pins tightly enough, and this causes weird and seemingly random symptoms.

Also make sure those little pins and metal sockets are 100% clean and oil free. No dielectric grease should be on those pins or sockets.

I use zero-residue electronic contact cleaner

I did a resistance check on both of my tps's. The bad ski is reading 3.6Mohms on the outside pins. the good ski is reading like 800k ohms. Is there a better way to test them?

+1
    Common symptom of a bad TPS .best way to test is have a good known one to replace it with .Always a good idea to have a spare in the tool kit on the ski anyway .Definitely crimp the connectors on the junction to the loom .Sounds definitely a TPS issue to me .Whilst it is playing up try wriggling the wiring loom to the TPS .This can give an indication of where the issue lies as well

Bernie

Thanks for all of the help guys. I ran to the local dealer and got a known good tps to try. I also ordered a new one for a spare. I just installed it and the ski seems to be working fine. Will know better thios weekend.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information