Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 Waveraider Salt Water conditions

Fellas,

I live in the Caribbean where we can ski year round...However, I blew my engine through overheating. I lifted off the head, and noticed pieces of sea shells in the block around the outside of the cylinders. That probably means that it is coming through the cooling lines. However, how can I prevent this from happening again? and also how can I keep the cooling lines and channels in the block free from corrosion from the salt water? Someone mentioned to me that I should be able to get a filter to stop this from happening (sea shells). Is this possible?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by o0 RASTA 0o View Post
    Fellas,

I live in the Caribbean where we can ski year round...However, I blew my engine through overheating. I lifted off the head, and noticed pieces of sea shells in the block around the outside of the cylinders. That probably means that it is coming through the cooling lines. However, how can I prevent this from happening again? and also how can I keep the cooling lines and channels in the block free from corrosion from the salt water? Someone mentioned to me that I should be able to get a filter to stop this from happening (sea shells). Is this possible?

1. Riva Yamaha sells an in-line strainer that you can change..and monitor to keep it free and clear of debris.

2. Run salt a way through the engine on a flush line and silcone spray everything after riding.

M

jet boats also use a sea strainer. its got a semi fine ss bowl screen to catch those sediments,that is cleaned out every so often... it goes in line, on the coolant hose from the pump to the motor... salt deposit buildup can be cut down by flushing it with fresh water after each use...

skis on the south east coast of florida seam to pick up shell fragments much more often than west coasters ...( maybe its from more wave action stirring up the fine shells) I had a WR motor that had that same shell blockage,along with a good build up of salt deposits.. vinagar will help clean it too..(warning it etches aluminum so be careful on how long you leave it on)...

Nuff Respect!!!

Thanks for the info fellas....really do appreciate it. I am learning so much more than what I had expected. Tomorrow, I am gonna start breaking down my engine into pieces to get a further understanding of the workings of the powerplant. I have to break it down either which to get it to the states and get my SBT short block.

Never done this type of work before, so Iam sure I will be calling on you guys again for your assistance.

Nuff Respect Fellas!!!!

I and I...Bing I....Rastafari.....King Selassei.....Praise de most high...Toking to get.....Higher than I !!!!!

if you go that route with the inline strainer make sure you check it regulary, if it were to get blocked off you would burn up your motor..i was talking with some guys on eastcoastpwc.net and the inline strainer sounds like every ride maintanece for us guys in dirty nj water..

Quote Originally Posted by pilo704 View Post
    if you go that route with the inline strainer make sure you check it regulary, if it were to get blocked off you would burn up your motor..i was talking with some guys on eastcoastpwc.net and the inline strainer sounds like every ride maintanece for us guys in dirty nj water..
    You can get them in various 'MAINTAINCE' interval sizes..from palm size to a gallon or more.. pop it under the seat on a bracket...you can find the clear bowl type,then just do a visual ... unscrew the bowl when you wish to clean it..(I would buy extra seal rings for it ) .. they will hold quite a bit before becoming blocked..it would better than a small shell causing half a motor to over heat...

+1

Water line size

Hey, on a similar note, anyone know offhand what size the water lines are? I want to put a waterline strainer on my 96 Raider (700) and I'm nowhere near my ski..

I spoke to SBT about that strainer and I was told unless if I am running in mucky waters, then don't bother. B/c a clogged stariner can blow the engine easily. On top of that, it was said that the lines are big enough to pump that settlment through. Just letting you know.

my opinion ,sbt is full of shiot on this... the shells clog the coolant passages in the motor,(been there ,id run a strainer), ..shells the 1/4 size of your little finger nail can be sucked thru the hose and clog up in the passages.....in the islands, you run in salt ..unless you suck up sea weed, where are you going to pick up anything murky???...besides the ocassional jelly fish, i dont see it happening...

+1
    Fortunately, I don't ride in murky or crud filled water, but I think the idea of having a strainer isn't a bad one, especially with bringing your ski on / near a sandy shore. True, a clogged strainer can lead to a damaged engine.. but think of what will happen if the thing that clogs your strainer gets into the engine. Pre-ride maintenance to check if it's clogged should be enough to prevent a build-up of crap / sand / mermaids, whatever gets sucked in.

On a side note, not having had anything personally to do with SBT, I'd take their advice / products with a grain of salt. I've very rarely heard good things about their products. Do a quick search here and see what turns up, people have had interesting experiences with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information