95 SLT Polaris Starting problem

I'm new to this so I need help please. New battery, fresh gas, no water in seperator, new plugs ---- I started ski up ran fine initially for 1-1/2 hours. Came back into cove and on idle died. No restart then nor hours later nor next day? Changed plugs no restart. Prior to this I had taken the waverunner to dealer,s shop where they replaced the main ground cable that had burnup?
    Should I be able to see any spark on plugs when still attached to wire, unscrewed out of head but held close to head? Should I be able to see spark from screwdriver inserted in plugwire and held close to engine block while cranking?
    Is the fuse in the electrical box only for the gauge readouts? Will the boat sart and run with a blown fuse? Can I replace the fusewith a standard 20 amp fuse?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by durango9099 View Post
    I'm new to this so I need help please.

New battery, fresh gas, no water in seperator, new plugs ----

I started ski up ran fine initially for 1-1/2 hours. Came back into cove and on idle died. No restart then nor hours later nor next day? Changed plugs no restart.

Prior to this I had taken the waverunner to dealer's shop where they replaced the main ground cable that had burnup?

Should I be able to see any spark on plugs when still attached to wire, unscrewed out of head but held close to head? Should I be able to see spark from screwdriver inserted in plug wire and held close to engine block while cranking?

Is the fuse in the electrical box only for the gauge readouts? Will the boat start and run with a blown fuse?

Can I replace the fuse with a standard 20 amp fuse?
    Do not replace any fuse with a larger rating fuse.

The MFD fuse is a 1/4 Amp fuse, and the bilge pump fuse is 3 Amps.

There is a Reset button on the electrical box, but if your engine is cranking over when you press start, then the Reset button is good.

The fuses will not affect engine start. Sometimes a dead MFD can affect the engine, so replace the fuse or unplug the MFD connector (behind the MFD)

If you connect a spark plug, and hold the metal side of the plug against the metal engine (touching an unpainted spot) you should see a strong spark.

It sounds like the ground wire repair has failed.

Does your battery sit under the electrical box?
    Is there a plastic cover in place to prevent the battery from shorting to the electrical box shell?

There are some checks you can do with a multi-meter, if you have one and want to troubleshoot the problem.

When I first got my slt someone had put something aftermarket on and then decided to take it off and just chopped the wires, I had a loose hot wire just flailing around that was shorting out. I would grab an electrical diagram out of one of the manuals on this site and make sure all is well according to it. Just to be clear though, it is cranking? But just getting no spark? If you take the plug out and hold it to the motor and crank it you should be able to see spark, you have to hold it to the block somewhere though so the plug is grounded, I would clamp it actually, dont want to short it out yourself ...

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I have to ask, is the lanyard installed?

Check for spark as mentioned above.

Perform a compression test.

Make sure you're getting fuel.

Sorry that this reply is over a year ayear later; I appreciate any help. There is good compression on all cylinders; The fuel pump is working well; I even drained gas tank and filled with new gas; Can you tell me about the ground wire and where it has to terminate on each end? I an only see aplace for 1 fuse 1/4 amp. Right now we installed a 20 amp fuse just to see if we could start the engine. Is this a problem? Where would the 3 amp fuse be located? If I'm reading the replies to my thread right I can unplug electrical off of the back of the CDI and the motor should start anyway? I thought I had a bad CDI and went ahead and replaced it. Do I have to do anything special to the CDI contacts to make it work? I know that coils create the spark? These coils appear to be in series? If one is bad will that prevent starting? Is there a rectifier in the box? Does the Polaris have some sort of magnetrol? like a Seadoo that rides on the front of the crankshaft? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Thread Information