Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to buy a remanufactured engine?

I am trying to find a 700cc Polaris twin engine for my 2001 Virage...
    SBT seems to be dominating this market, but I cannot find any recent reviews for them. Some older reviews sound scary, as if these guys intentionally lower the engine compression and use welded crankshafts...

I'll appreciate if anybody can share their recent experience with SBT and/or recommend any other source of remanufactured engines.

After some more research I feel that SBT is a risky option, and there are a couple of places that might be better and cheaper alternatives:
    www.shortblocks-r-us.com
    www.watercrafttech.com
    I wonder if anybody on this forum has information on how good these guys really are?

+1
    sbt is a crap shoot SOME AND SOME BLOW

I ended up using Doug aka www.shortblocksrus.com to rebuild my engine. In my opinion, he did a pretty good job. The engine arrived very clean, in great packaging, the compression was 145psi in both cylinders, and it costed me $699 total (with free return shipping and a free set of gaskets). Another potential benefit is that this is a one man show unlike SBT, so you might expect more consistent quality.

So far I put 5 hours on the rebuilt engine, and I have no complaints. Runs like a champ

The only thing I want to warn you about - when you ship the engine, I would remove the water crossover manifold from the engine and package it separately. Mine got broken on the way in. It's made from aluminum and breaks pretty easily if they drop the box a certain way

I went with him too. Great job. And like you said it a one man business with 30 years of knowledge. And he rides Polaris only PWC'S, so he knows them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    I ended up using Doug aka www.shortblocksrus.com to rebuild my engine. In my opinion, he did a pretty good job. The engine arrived very clean, in great packaging, the compression was 145psi in both cylinders, and it costed me $699 total (with free return shipping and a free set of gaskets). Another potential benefit is that this is a one man show unlike SBT, so you might expect more consistent quality.

So far I put 5 hours on the rebuilt engine, and I have no complaints. Runs like a champ

The only thing I want to warn you about - when you ship the engine, I would remove the water crossover manifold from the engine and package it separately. Mine got broken on the way in. It's made from aluminum and breaks pretty easily if they drop the box a certain way

In August 2007 I put an SBT engine in my 94 Sea Doo SPI. I put about 30 gallons of gas through it then it "snagged" a ring on the PTO piston. While I was disappointed with the failure, SBT was great to deal with. There were some minor mix ups on some gasket kits and a head cover cooling fitting. SBT promptly addressed everything.

I just ordered a 700 from them for my 99 Polaris SLTH. I was considering the rebuild myself but decided my experience with SBT was good enough to try again.

I have read how some think their engines are crap. However, they do thousands of engines and I have only read a few vague comments on bad experiences.

A few times I was frustrated with minor issues but the SBT staff really displayed some great customer service to help me.

Consider this, they ship engines out to many first time mechanics, then back the product up for 2 years !

Good luck.

tj

+1
    Take one good look inside their engines and let me know what you think. I know exactly why you snagged a ring. cause they spend about 30 seconds installing sleeves and don't match ports for donkey!

Ive been having some very nice engines built lately for very surprising cost's compared to SBT!

I've installed way too many SBT's and seen many of them come back with internal engine problems. And when you pull a dome etc... to diagnose something, yeah, kiss your warranty good bye.

Spend a little extra and have someone that actually cares about your engine lasting take care of you.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    how is it that I live in New Mexico and have not come across www.watercrafttech.com before? I'll pay them a visit next time I'm "up north" and see if i want to switch over to using them on some of my jobs.

Anybody have any dealing with them?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    I went with him too. Great job. And like you said it a one man business with 30 years of knowledge. And he rides Polaris only PWC'S, so he knows them.

Hey Robert! Is this the guy in Simi Valley you were speaking of?

+1
    I got 2 engines from SBT. A 780 and 750 for 2 different pwc's. both of them blew up within 3 months. The customer service was great? Sure it was! But the time it took me off the water was priceless. Never again am I going with SBT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information