Make sure you have enough water in your exhaust system..

Discovered this destruction the other day when I pulled my exhaust ready to install the black magic headers. Good thing I decided to buy them..

1. Exhaust manifold is toasted, no bell on the end of it.
    2. Waterbox cover burnt and burn mark on fiberglass in hull
    3. Box is dented due to being hot and banging on hull, also cracked along the weld.

Cause: Water bypass on intercooler being wide open taking too much water out of the exhaust system. I turned the tap closed just enough that the sensor didn't go off and thought it'd all be ok. Nope. Ah well gave me a reason to buy me some headers.

+1
    Ouch! guess ya gotta straight pipe that sucka

+1
    While I guess I wont try that. Just out of curiosity did you see any performance gain with more cool water going through the IC? I wonder if removing the restrictor washer and teeing the IC outlet with a 3/8 hose would allow enough water into the exhaust and still get more cool water through the IC.

I just blew a hole in my water box when the hose feeding the XS IC blew off. It did not take long either about 100 yards from the dock and boom. Thank God I had just put a bilge pump in. by the time I got stopped I was sitting low in the water. The bilge pump saved the day. I was able to limp in to my trailer with the bilge pump running.

Quote Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Cause: Water bypass on intercooler being wide open taking too much water out of the exhaust system. I turned the tap closed just enough that the sensor didn't go off and thought it'd all be ok. Nope. Ah well gave me a reason to buy me some headers.

This part is confussing? This didn't make sense to begin with? which resulted to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    This part is confussing? This didn't make sense to begin with? which resulted to this?
    had too much water flowing through my intercooler which let the exhaust get tooo hot. had enough water to prevent the exhaust temp sensor going off.

Thread Information