Thread: water leak

water leak

a polaris service bulletin {pwc-96-10} say's that all 96 model watercraft may leak at bilge plug. It fails to tell you where the plug is can someone help me with this.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would expect that is the rubber stopper that fits into the rear of the hull, down low. The early years had a removable bilge drain plug.

They could get lost, or even fall out if you forgot to tighten it before riding. Lots of hulls have been flooded because the drain plug was left out, or fell out!

Later years had the much better captive drain plug, and you might want to upgrade.

I would like to add to this "leak" thread and ask a few questions from you guys. As I have had my Jet pump out, and the watertube, etc, there was a gummy textured seal that I had to break during pump/watertube removal.
    Is there a recommended product to reseal the watertube opening and the pisser line opening, etc, and what not, to assure a good tight leak-free seal?

Just do not trust that after having everything out, thx guys...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSLX View Post
    I would like to add to this "leak" thread and ask a few questions from you guys. As I have had my Jet pump out, and the watertube, etc, there was a gummy textured seal that I had to break during pump/watertube removal.
    Is there a recommended product to reseal the watertube opening and the pisser line opening, etc, and what not, to assure a good tight leak-free seal?

Just do not trust that after having everything out, thx guys...
    Any RTV will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Any RTV will work fine.
    Thx Beer, thought so, wasn't sure...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    a polaris service bulletin {pwc-96-10} say's that all 96 model watercraft may leak at bilge plug. It fails to tell you where the plug is can someone help me with this.

Thanks
    Does anbody have the info for the Bulletin,what the fix is?
    I have a 96 SL700 that takes on water every other time I put the New (old style)Polaris plug in.

+1
    I don't have any more info on that particular service bulletin.

If I had to guess, I would suspect the drain hole in the hull was drilled too large or sloppy, or the hole was rough inside. Either would prevent the expanding rubber type plug from fully sealing.

In either case, installing a new captive type drain plug would solve the problem. These seal to the outside surface of the hull, and you can also seal the body of the plug to the sides of the hole.

These are not expensive, widely available, and just a better type of drain plug.

Drilling the two small holes is the hardest part, and really isn't that hard. Just get the drill size correct for the stainless steel screws you are using.

+1
    I installed the newer style plug on SL700 #1. It seems the drain hole is pretty low on these models,I didn't like where the screws ended up.
    SL700 #2 is the one with the stock plug,I have a new plug,I just don't want it to sink before I sell it,or after. Just curious what the problem was.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    I installed the newer style plug on SL700 #1.

It seems the drain hole is pretty low on these models,I didn't like where the screws ended up...
    I installed a captive plug on a 1992 SL650.

I angled the plug body about 30 degrees off level so the lower screw was in the lower 'corner' of the transom, equal distances from both edges. Still close, but good enough that I was able to carefully drill the screw hole without cracking anything, and install the screw.

The other screw then was located well away from the edges.

Hole size and drill angle are critical, as the hull material won't expand or flex to accommodate the shaft of the screw.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I installed a captive plug on a 1992 SL650.

I angled the plug body about 30 degrees off level so the lower screw was in the lower 'corner' of the transom, equal distances from both edges. Still close, but good enough that I was able to carefully drill the screw hole without cracking anything, and install the screw.

The other screw then was located well away from the edges.

Hole size and drill angle are critical, as the hull material won't expand or flex to accommodate the shaft of the screw.
    Ditto . You explained exactly how I did it on #1. I'd like to try to get the original to work properly on #2.

Thread Information