Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1995 750 SLT shuts-off?

I just had a SBT Blue Fuji engine installed in my '95 750 SLT. The PWC had been stored in my garage for about 8 years before I had the SBT engine installed. The same day I brought the ski home from the shop, I put it in the lake, ran it for about an hour at 1/2 throttle, brought it back to the pier for approximately an hour, decided to ride some more; however, I discovered the transom plug had come out and the engine compartment was now full of water, water had also went inside the new engine. I removed the spark plugs, cranked the engine over to blow/force the water out of the engine. I sprayed WD-40 inside the engine and carburetors to remove the remaining water, reinstalled the spark plugs and it fired-up and ran; however, now the engine runs for some distance and shuts-off. The distance the engine runs before it shuts-off varies from 10' to 1/2 mile. I don't think my problem is the water that got inside the engine, I think it is an electrical problem that coincidentally occured at the same time as the waterlogged engine occured, or some electrical components/circuitry got wet or still has moisture. I did notice that almost everytime I turn the steering, it shuts-off immediately; however, it also shuts-off when traveling in a straight line. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for service manuals and other info.

Buy a spray can of fogging oil, and fog the engine.
    WD-40 is OK, but it won't protect the engine internals for very long.

Have you opened up the electrical box yet?

It must be 100% dry and clean inside - no corrosion.

How full did the hull get?

Could there be water in the fuel tank?
    The gas cap seals can fail, and the caps sometimes crack. Water in the fuel tank is bad news.
    There are also vents for the fuel tank, where water could get in.

Is the fuel/water separator full of water?

Was the flooded engine cranked with the spark plugs in?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Click below for service manuals and other info.

Buy a spray can of fogging oil, and fog the engine.
    WD-40 is OK, but it won't protect the engine internals for very long.

Have you opened up the electrical box yet?

It must be 100% dry and clean inside - no corrosion.

How full did the hull get?

Could there be water in the fuel tank?
    The gas cap seals can fail, and the caps sometimes crack. Water in the fuel tank is bad news.
    There are also vents for the fuel tank, where water could get in.

Is the fuel/water separator full of water?

Was the flooded engine cranked with the spark plugs in?
    I checked the water seperator and found no trace of water in it. The hull was full of water. The #3 cylinder was full of water, #2 & #1 cylinders were about 10% full of water. I attempted to crank the engine before I realized it was waterlogged; however, it wouldn't enven turn-over due to the fact so much water was in the cylinder. I haven't opened the electrical box yet, thats probably where my problem is at.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    ...The #3 cylinder was full of water, #2 & #1 cylinders were about 10% full of water.

I attempted to crank the engine before I realized it was waterlogged; however, it wouldn't even turn-over due to the fact so much water was in the cylinder.
    The concern is that sometimes the starter motor is strong enough to actually crack the piston when it tries to compress the water.

The crack may or may not reveal itself in a compression test, but the engine sure won't run properly with a cracked piston.

You may need to pull the cylinder heads to verify that the pistons are all OK.

The concern is that sometimes the starter motor is strong enough to actually crack the piston when it tries to compress the water.

The crack may or may not reveal itself in a compression test, but the engine sure won't run properly with a cracked piston.

You may need to pull the cylinder heads to verify that the pistons are all OK.
    The engine seems to run good while its running, it seems as if its losing ignition.

+1
    The engine seems to run good while its running, it seems as if its losing ignition.
    When it dies, plug in a spare spark plug, hold it against the engine, and see if you have spark. Wear a work glove to avoid shocking your hand.

Hint: You can strap the ski to a trailer, back it into the water until the jet pump intake is submerged, and run it with the seat off while you diagnose. You can run it as long as you need like this, even with some power applied.

Easier than floating around on the lake trying to test things

When it dies, plug in a spare spark plug, hold it against the engine, and see if you have spark. Wear a work glove to avoid shocking your hand.

Hint: You can strap the ski to a trailer, back it into the water until the jet pump intake is submerged, and run it with the seat off while you diagnose. You can run it as long as you need like this, even with some power applied.

Easier than floating around on the lake trying to test things
    Thanks very much for the info & help, I'll try it tomorrow.

I forgot to mention this, when I'm going along and the engine shuts-off, I can immediately hit the starter button/switch and it fires-up immediately, runs for a varied distance as stated before and shuts-off again. It fires-up immediatey.

+1
    I forgot to mention this, when I'm going along and the engine shuts-off, I can immediately hit the starter button/switch and it fires-up immediately, runs for a varied distance as stated before and shuts-off again. It fires-up immediately.
    That does sound like electrical.

Look for water in the electrical box, and look at the stop switch and wires (Black/Yellow). Water or corrosion inside the stop switch can cause problems.

Also check that the grounds are solid everywhere. Sometimes problems are coincidental - one has nothing to do with another, even though they happened at nearly the same time.

That does sound like electrical.

Look for water in the electrical box, and look at the stop switch and wires (Black/Yellow). Water or corrosion inside the stop switch can cause problems.

Also check that the grounds are solid everywhere. Sometimes problems are coincidental - one has nothing to do with another, even though they happened at nearly the same time.
    Thanks again for your advice and help, I'm going to work on it some more tomorrow. I'm going to get some sleep now. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information