95 ZXI750 overheating..

I just bought a zxi750. It worked fine the first time out, or seemed to. I burned a quarter of a tank of gas out and it seemed fine. Today I took it out and it ran for a few minutes and started over heating. the light came on and i shut it off and let it cool down. When I started it up it ran fine but would over heat every few minutes on the way to the dock.

There is a thing that did pump water from the motor to the starboard side of the ski. At an idle no water comes out of that at all now, When moving some water comes out, but doesn't appear to be a steady stream. Is this an indication that the water pump isn't pumping?

Where is the pump located? Do they normally go bad or could this be some other problem?

Thanks for any help, I was supposed to be staying at the lake tonight but had to drive home when the ski wasn't right. Hopefully I will be able to diagnose the problem tonight and find somewhere with the parts tomorrow so my vacation isn't ruined and I can still spend the last 3 days on the water.

Upon further examination and hearing from people who have owned these before maybe the lines are clogged somewhere. How would I go about flushing the system? Can I put some sort of cleaner in it like an automotive block cleaner? Should I? I'm really hoping to get it fixed in the morning so i can leave tomorrow.

Well I've removed one end of each hose and I put some air through it, it blew some water out of the exhaust at first but then just straight air. It seems to be flowing well. The small water hose that goes from the motor to the exhaust had a little bit of green slime and some gritty material in it but it seemed to be too small of an amount to cause a blockage.

Do you think it could have opened up with out much of anything solid coming out?

keep us posted on what you find out. I may have a similiar issue with a 96 900 zxi.

I found the problem yesterday at the lake. A small rock had lodged in the hose barb on top of the head and it partially blocked the water. It would still allow air to pass, but water and lake slime couldnt get through. I couldnt even tell it was there until I removed the hose nipple out of the head. I cleaned it out and it was good to go all yesterday afternoon. I was able to ride it enough that I burnt out a tank and a half of gas! What a memorable fourth of July...I hope everyone on here had a safe and happy 4th!

dumb question, since my 96 Raider and 97 GSX both have digital displays, I know when it has juice. What about these Kaw's? What do they do when you turn that key on?

both of the lights on the dash of mine light up for a short time when I turn the key on, The oil light and the temp light, but I just got it a week or so ago and I'm not really sure if it always does that or not. I didn't notice it at first but I assume it always does it.

I will go check here in about an hour and see if the lights still come on with the pull lanyard off. I'm pretty sure they didn't though, I think they only worked when everything was ready to ride.

Smile

correct they flash on for few seconds when you have lanyard on and turn the magnetic key on

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AaronR View Post
    I found the problem yesterday at the lake. A small rock had lodged in the hose barb on top of the head and it partially blocked the water. It would still allow air to pass, but water and lake slime couldnt get through. I couldnt even tell it was there until I removed the hose nipple out of the head. I cleaned it out and it was good to go all yesterday afternoon. I was able to ride it enough that I burnt out a tank and a half of gas! What a memorable fourth of July...I hope everyone on here had a safe and happy 4th!
    THis is a very common problem,I too had an XIR 750 that from the factory had a end of a silicone tube blocking the water coming out of head,with hose off at idle or mid speed water shot out at full throttle the plastic cap would cut off all water flow,slow engine down it would drop down into motor and water would flow again,It cause the engine to need top end rebuilt.drove me wild for a few days till I found it.now when I have a problem just check the net!!someone else out there has had and fixed whatever problem you have ever had!>Marvin

Thread Information