Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Title question, please help...

Is it possible to register a jet ski with a bill of sale? How can I run his registration number to insure it hasn't been stolen. Also, if it checks out clean, can I file for a lost title, if I purchase it, or will the previous owner have to do it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

+1
    I think the only one who can run the numbers is law enforcement.If it does come up stolen , they might say " sir please come with us".I suggest you call a local tag agency.

Well, if they said that, i'd gladly point them to the person that I am thinking about buying it from.

I just don't know if it be worth the hassle to buy a jetski with a bill of sale. I did read in other threads that some states don't require titles, they use their bill of sales as titles, for registration.

I don't know if Texas is like that or not. I called them this morning but the lady didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.

+1
    I "think" Texas is a title state for boats.

If the ski is currently registered in Texas, then the owner should have no problem getting a replacement title.

Texas is a title state. I live here in the Dallas area too. I just bought a ski from a personal friend that had lost his title. He and I went to the TP&W over in Mesquite to transfer ownership and they still would not do it without the title. He had to pay to get a lost title before he could actually transfer ownership to me.

If you have the VIN or the hull number they can tell you the actual owner if here in TX. I think $2 to get that info printed out. Or, you can file a mechanics lean on the ski but that takes like 2 months.

See, that's the problem, I am getting the ski from Alabama.

Is there anyway of filing for a lost title if I am not the previous owner?

What if I file for this mechanics lien you are talking about, do you know what the process consist's of?

Also, I read somewheres, where someone was told to file for a "homeade build" title or something like that?

Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance for all you guys' inputs.

I'm trying to find out if there are any problems i'll face if I purchase it. If it turns out that it'll be a bigger bite than I can chew, then I just will not purchase it.

I just would like to be prepared for the worst before I drop the cash on it.

+1
    So, what you really need to find out, is if Alabama is a Title state.

You see some states, like Arizona, do NOT have titles. We have registration from AZ game and fish. So to sell a ski, out of state especially, you need the AZ game and fish registration, and it does make the process go faster if you have a bill of sale.

So do your research around Alabama.

+ 1 on what everyone has said , if you do an internet search about Alabama laws you will see that its not a title state , when buying a used boat you need a bill of sale and the old registration ( per the AL website ), the first thing I would do is see if he can produce an old registration , then check with Texas and see if they will except it that way (same as Alabama ) and make a title for it .
    as for checking to see if its stolen you want to run the VIN # ( vehicle identification # ) and the # on the motor , ask for a pic of the #s don't take his word for it .
    I would go to the Texas office with the VIN # and tell them what you want to do and see if its a go or no go with them .
    Another problem with no title is that you don't know if there is a lean on the boat but the VIN should give you all the info .

+1
    Non title skis make it nearly impossible to lien. You can transfer at will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information