new to the sport

Hello,

I've read through much of this forum over the past month and it all has a fun and familiar feel. Twenty years ago I raced 2-cycle enduro karts at various tracks around the country and spent my free time tweaking and tuning on the dyno and at the track. Then family and kids entered the picture for many years.

Last year we purchased two used '05 GP800's. Best decision we ever made! Now the old familiar urge to start wrenching is taking hold. The kids are late teens and can learn a thing or two. Obviously, pulling the engine is a lot more involved on a wavrunner than on a kart. (I could rebuild the top end of my kart in an afternoon!)

Do you folks have any advice for someone starting out? What would you do differently if you had the opportunity to do the same? My goal is not to turn these into speed machines and start bolting parts on. I just enjoy working on vehicles and it's not my nature to treat what's under the seat as a mystery. The only thing I have planned for this winter is to install waveater clips and routine maintenance. Will also switch from Walmart oil to Amsoil. I'm wonder what the power valve is going to look like.

I do have one current question. I posted in the general forum under "loose part in hull" and recieved no response. I value your thoughts on this. Directly under the engine, bolted to the hull is a rubber pad that Yamaha calls a "snubber" or "damper". The pad came loose on BOTH waverunners. The engine has to be pulled to gain access to reinstall the pad. The dealer just called and recommended not doing this until something else needed to be done as well. Big $$. He's a fromer GP1200 racer and felt the pad provided minimal engine support. That Yamaha calls the part a "damper" tends to support the dealer's claim that the pad does not provide primary engine support.

Thanks for any and all advice,
    Duane
    Cleveland, OH

+1
    Welcome to the Forum DBeach! The Yamahas are great skis and there are a few things that you can do, however the performance is more limited than say a 1200 or 1300.Everything U need is right here and as you familiarize yourself on this site, you will soon see the great amount of info. that is available.

Quote Originally Posted by DBeach View Post
    Hello,

I've read through much of this forum over the past month and it all has a fun and familiar feel. Twenty years ago I raced 2-cycle enduro karts at various tracks around the country and spent my free time tweaking and tuning on the dyno and at the track. Then family and kids entered the picture for many years.

Last year we purchased two used '05 GP800's. Best decision we ever made! Now the old familiar urge to start wrenching is taking hold. The kids are late teens and can learn a thing or two. Obviously, pulling the engine is a lot more involved on a wavrunner than on a kart. (I could rebuild the top end of my kart in an afternoon!)

Do you folks have any advice for someone starting out? What would you do differently if you had the opportunity to do the same? My goal is not to turn these into speed machines and start bolting parts on. I just enjoy working on vehicles and it's not my nature to treat what's under the seat as a mystery. The only thing I have planned for this winter is to install waveater clips and routine maintenance. Will also switch from Walmart oil to Amsoil. I'm wonder what the power valve is going to look like.

I do have one current question. I posted in the general forum under "loose part in hull" and recieved no response. I value your thoughts on this. Directly under the engine, bolted to the hull is a rubber pad that Yamaha calls a "snubber" or "damper". The pad came loose on BOTH waverunners. The engine has to be pulled to gain access to reinstall the pad. The dealer just called and recommended not doing this until something else needed to be done as well. Big $$. He's a fromer GP1200 racer and felt the pad provided minimal engine support. That Yamaha calls the part a "damper" tends to support the dealer's claim that the pad does not provide primary engine support.

Thanks for any and all advice,
    Duane
    Cleveland, OH

the more you read the more ideas you will get! hopefully you have a supporting wallet. once the bug bites, you will be looking for a 1200 or 1300, then the possibilities become endless! i got a list a mile long, just need some extra cash now! got any extra?

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    I'm pretty sure I responded to your other post. The general forum doesn't have the same discussions or the traffic the 2 stroke performance one does... that's why nobody replied to you more than likely. I'm curious as to what rubber part you are talking about now if the dealer told you not to worry about it and that you had to pull the motor to find it. I was under the impression that it was the motor mount itself which IS a big deal and needs to be taken care of before you run the ski again. you can try fishing under the motor with a coat hanger and tipping the ski on its side to try to get it to roll out from under the motor. BTW posting pics always gets a more responses and more accurate answers Teaching your kids how to do the work is great also, when I was a kid and got my first snowmobile my dad made the rules very clear... "If you can't start it you can't ride it and if it breaks you fix it" He taught me how to rebuild carbs and clutches at 12 years old and I learned real fast how a choke works and how not to flood a motor lol

Welcome to the forum!

Hi ProXR,

I've attached a picture from the shop manual. The part that came loose (the damper) is the one smack in the center, towards the top, between the four engine mounts. It's held by two bolts. One damper came completely loose and is out of the waverunner. The damper in my other waverunner has at least one loose bolt. I can reach under the engine from the front and just touch the forward bolt. I cannot get a wrench on it. The only way to tighten the loose one, or reinstall the other one, is to lift the engine out. You cannot reach the bolts otherwise.

The part is aluminum, about 4x5 inches, with a 1/2" thick flat rubber pad on it. The engine rests lightly on it. I say "lightly" because I can wiggle the loose one a slight amount.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    Never knew those were there and I just helped my friend pull the motor out of his 1200r the other night

Thread Information