Thread: Premix

Premix

I've been thinking about switching to premix on my 2000 GP1200R.

There are a couple of questions I need answered though:

-Is there anything I need to do, to make the switch? (i.e. disconnect oil lines)

-Is 50:1 premix good for a stock 2000 GP1200R?

-Is premix cheaper or more expensive than getting oil the regular way?

Thanks in advance.

so many premix threads:::
    do a search in the performance forum and you`ll see everyones opinions...including mine

+1
    Almost everybody here seems to like pre-mix. I don't. It's messy, it requires that you do arithmetic or carry a special jug, it gives too much oil (and smoke) at idle, and you end up carrying partially full bottles of oil around with you.

I've owned PWCs for about 17 years and I've never had an oil system problem. You do have to upgrade the lines and secure them properly.

Remove oil pump from front of engine,install block off.I mix 40:1.Gives me piece of mind and I don't idle enough to notice any smoke.

When you've seen as many skis blow up due to oil lines as I have, you'd run premix in a heartbeat. Especially with the 1200R 66V improper rear oil line routing - you're running on limited time before that line slips.

It's easy to mix gas, just get a Ratio Rite and mix 45:1, 50:1, whatever.

You might notice a bit more smoke at idle, but you'll probably not notice that.

Easy to block off the pump - but you'll need to pull the pipe to put blockoff nipples on the carbs. Also very easy to do on the GPR hull - not so much on an XL(T) hull!

Good luck!

yes oil injection is great till the motor locks up because the line fell off the #3 carb mine happened at 55 hours it is a 2004 do yourself a favor either make sure to replace and secure the lines or do the premix and block off plate. dont wait like i did thinking you will do it later or you will end up with rebuild on your hands.( block off plate is 16 dollars rebuilt motor $$$.)

Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    yes oil injection is great till the motor locks up because the line fell off the #3 carb mine happened at 55 hours it is a 2004 do yourself a favor either make sure to replace and secure the lines or do the premix and block off plate. dont wait like i did thinking you will do it later or you will end up with rebuild on your hands.( block off plate is 16 dollars rebuilt motor $$$.)
    If I replace the lines one time, that is it? Also, how hard and expensive is this job?

I found this thread. Take a look at post number 6. Do you think this would hold the oil lines on good?

Would Oetiker clamps or Hose clamps work better?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Almost everybody here seems to like pre-mix. I don't. It's messy, it requires that you do arithmetic or carry a special jug, it gives too much oil (and smoke) at idle, and you end up carrying partially full bottles of oil around with you.

I've owned PWCs for about 17 years and I've never had an oil system problem. You do have to upgrade the lines and secure them properly.
    How do you secure them?

i would suggest new lines they wont be very expensive they are just rubber hoses you can probally get them from the online store in this site those clamps and glue sound good but what if the glue reacts with the rubber and makes it break down i couldnt make that call i have never used it before i went with premix because my motor is ported and needs more oil it does smoke more now but I know it is getting oil all the time.

Thread Information