Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

HELP...250x noise from pump area

I just took my ski out and everything ran fine as normal...UNTIL I was headed back to the launch and I heard this loud screech that sounded like it came from the motor. I instantly let off and never had any warning lights etc that came on. It was one of those "lets just pretend that didn't just happen" type noises. When I went to take off the ski felt a little sluggish and I can now feel a vibration in the driveline almost like I'm pulling something behind me. It makes 11lbs of boost and it only turns 7400 rpm. It feels like something in the pump or impeller is restricting the motor. On GPS, it won't run faster than 64mph, where as just minutes before it basically was running as fast as it ever has. I never continued to run it. I'm just hoping somebody has, or heard of, this same problem. From what I can see, the impeller looks fine. Just from looking under the ski. At idle while I was flushing the ski, it now had a rattling, grinding, screeching sound. It use to only do that if I were to rev the ski to remove the excess water from the system. Now it makes the same sound idling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want a direction of what to look for before I start pulling it apart. Thanks in advance for any input and help.

Maybe is the pump bearings

how many hours? Pump bearings are problematic in these ski's. Easy to pull and check but might as well replace while checking. If the pump bearings are bad and not replaced it can take a motor out.

David

+1
    keith i hope for your sake that it is only the pump as some people when the pump bearing has gone it takes the motor with it chewing out the thrust washers. to pull the pump just remove the eight bolts from the back and and two underneath the ride plate and obviously the hose clamps the pump will slide out from the rear pm if you need any more info.

+1
    Thanks....I spoke with JWilson and he basically told me the same thing. We removed the pump and the bearings are DEFINITELY bad as well as the wear ring and the prop is curled up on the edges. Its also missing half of the seal on the front of the prop. Does somebody offer an aftermarket wear ring or do I need a complete new pump and bearings. I'm just weighing my options before I start buying pieces. Should I go back to a stock prop, or is there a prop that works better for a basically stock application. The ski ran 71 gps in the heat before with intercooler mod, 1 degree pump wedge, 5 degree timing mod, ram air mod, riva ride plate, secondary waterbox delete and bov block off. This damage never happened overnight and the ski still ran that fast minutes before it happened. I just don't want to spend $ on something that is going to slow me down. On the same token, I don't mind spending the $ if it will increase performance. Thanks in advance for the input.

+1
    they dont have a wear ring so a new housing will be the go if the original is pooped, keep with stock prop unless you have other engine plans, bearings are replaceable so is the front rubber sleeve and seals just take note the direction the seals are installed. u.s guys highly recommend impros give them a try. hope your engine is ok. have you got a manual?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Send it to Impros, they can work wonders...........

+1
    The motor sounds fine, the last time I started it at least. I never pulled the charger belt cover yet to check the crank thrust. I don't have a manual, its something I guess I need to look into getting. The impeller only seemed to walk around a little chewing up the inside of the pump as well as curling over the outside of the impeller blades. It seems like the bearings would basically have to completely fail in order to allow the impeller to move that far forward, in order to damage the crank I mean. I could be wrong, I just looked at it briefly as I was pulling the pump. I'm still surprised the ski was running as good as it did right before it happend. The ski did make noises coming from the pump prior...mainly when I was clearing the water from the system. When I would rev it, it would make the same noise it did at idle after it broke. The prices don't seem that bad on a new pump, bearings, internals, gaskets and factory impeller. If Impros is what is being suggested, I'll probably just look into them. Any rough idea of what a job like that costs? Being I'll just be sending them the pump complete with the impeller. Thanks.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If the prop can be saved Id guess in the $300 range, just send am Email to Dave at Impros, they are busy this time of year and dont answer the phone much.................

+1
    Thanks. Thats not bad. Thats understandable about not answering the phone. I know its hard to answer the phone during the busy season in anything racing related. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information