2001 Polaris Virage TX Bogs Down at 2000-3000rpm

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage TX with 130 hrs on it. I've owned it for two years, and since buying it, has always had some type of hesitation when accelerating at low speed between 2000 and 3000 rpm. If I give it full throttle there isn't any hesitation, and it gets up and goes. Runs great to around 65mph with one person and has no problems otherwise. Recently, on rare occassions, the "check engine" note comes up on the screen when running at these low RMP's. The two times this has happened were after a few hours of hard riding out in 3-5ft swells. In anycase, the hesitation problem exists no matter when you throttle at low RPM's....cold or hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for manuals and other good info.

Is this a fuel injected engine, or carburetors?

Virage TX's are notorious for what you are descibing. Depending on your model it most likely is the TPS or fuel pump from my experience with the DI models.

Does it get better after it warms up? That is normal....

My tech told me these models did have slight hesitation issues as well unless at WOT.

Send us more details per K447's note. He knows a lot about the Virage's

It has a 1200cc 3cyl fitch fuel injection motor. The hesitation is definitely worse when it's cold. I have tried the fuel system cleaners seafoam and Lucas, but neither did anything noticeable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by frewworld View Post
    It has a 1200cc 3cyl Ficht fuel injection motor.

The hesitation is definitely worse when it's cold.

I have tried the fuel system cleaners Seafoam and Lucas, but neither did anything noticeable.
    Your model is Virage TXi

Fuel system additives don't seem to make any difference with these machines. When there is a problem, the additive won't fix it.

You should check fuel pressure and injector voltage.

Fuel pressure should be over 20 PSI, and stable.

The White/Red injector wires (any one will do, they are all connected together) should be over 40 volts DC with all injectors connected, and fairly stable with RPM. While cranking, injector voltage must be over 20 volts, or the engine will not start.
    45 volts DC is the nominal injector voltage.

I would start with the TPS, in terms of replacing parts.

TPS are known to fail over time, and it is a good idea to have a spare on hand. Install the new TPS, and keep the old one as the spare.

Click here for info on which TPS part number to order.

More Ficht info here;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

You might also check the ohms of the air temp sensor. The connector is hidden on the bottom side of the flame arrestor base.

Thanks for your help, I have ordered a TPS and will let you all know how it worked out.

The TPS helped for sure, however, another problem has arose. That being after being out on it awhile the high RPM seems to disappear and it won't pull like it did. It's not related to the TPS (i dont think) since it has happened twice before we changed the TPS out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by frewworld View Post
    The TPS helped for sure, however, another problem has arose.

That being after being out on it awhile the high RPM seems to disappear and it won't pull like it did. It's not related to the TPS (i dont think) since it has happened twice before we changed the TPS out.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... You should check fuel pressure and injector voltage.

Fuel pressure should be over 20 PSI, and stable.

The White/Red injector wires (any one will do, they are all connected together) should be over 40 volts DC with all injectors connected, and fairly stable with RPM. While cranking, injector voltage must be over 20 volts, or the engine will not start.
    45 volts DC is the nominal injector voltage.

.... You might also check the ohms of the air temp sensor. The connector is hidden on the bottom side of the flame arrestor base.
    Did you check these?

Also check the small cooling hoses for the stator cover and EMM. Make sure they are not kinked or clogged.

Are you running the correct spark plugs?

When it loses power, does it recover full power ability if you just ride more slowly for a while, or must it be shut down and cool off for a while? How long does it need to sit?

Any warnings or red lamp on the display?

Thread Information