Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    we7313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    73

    Need advice on 2nd waverunner

    Right now I have a yamaha FZS. Its fast and and turns well, but feels a bit heavy. I like to jump waves once in a while and feel like I'm only doing a wheelie (because the back is still in). So I always planned on buying a 2nd. Should I be looking at a gp1300r? I was hoping to stay yamaha so I could have them serviced together.

    Any advice on a fun 2 seater would be great.


  2. #2
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by we7313 View Post
    Right now I have a yamaha FZS. Its fast and and turns well, but feels a bit heavy. I like to jump waves once in a while and feel like I'm only doing a wheelie (because the back is still in). So I always planned on buying a 2nd. Should I be looking at a gp1300r? I was hoping to stay yamaha so I could have them serviced together.

    Any advice on a fun 2 seater would be great.

    The SHO/FZR/FZS will jump just fine. I do it every week and am at least 3-10 feet in the air. If you can't get into the air the water is too flat there in Milwaukee.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by we7313 View Post
    Right now I have a yamaha FZS. Its fast and and turns well, but feels a bit heavy. I like to jump waves once in a while and feel like I'm only doing a wheelie (because the back is still in). So I always planned on buying a 2nd. Should I be looking at a gp1300r? I was hoping to stay yamaha so I could have them serviced together.

    Any advice on a fun 2 seater would be great.
    Look into the VX line. I have an SHO and my wife has a VX cruiser and I find that jumping waves is easier with her VX and a little more fun.

  4. #4
    KamikazeGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,361
    +1
    99
    The GPR's are great for wave jumping. They have the power to launch and are lite enough to get good air. They land nice too. The 2-strokes don't mind being slapped around or flipped over. They also handle being over-reved coming off waves.

    I had 2 gpr's, but, let one go to move up to a Fzs. I like the bigger ski for a full day riding. Don't have to worry about water conditions. But, i'm hesitant so far about launching one off a wave w/o a blow off valve installed.

    Keeping the other gpr for those jumping days.

    You can pick up an 05+(no powervalves) starting at 5k. Leave it stock at 65mph. Change out intake grate(r&d 1200) (riva)D-plate in place of the cat con. and just enjoy.

    Theres a lot of good gpr jumping pics in this thread. Even a few amazing flying couches.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57100

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    The GPR's are great for wave jumping. They have the power to launch and are lite enough to get good air. They land nice too. The 2-strokes don't mind being slapped around or flipped over. They also handle being over-reved coming off waves.

    I had 2 gpr's, but, let one go to move up to a Fzs. I like the bigger ski for a full day riding. Don't have to worry about water conditions. But, i'm hesitant so far about launching one off a wave w/o a blow off valve installed.

    Keeping the other gpr for those jumping days.

    You can pick up an 05+(no powervalves) starting at 5k. Leave it stock at 65mph. Change out intake grate(r&d 1200) (riva)D-plate in place of the cat con. and just enjoy.

    Theres a lot of good gpr jumping pics in this thread. Even a few amazing flying couches.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57100
    .
    what he said!

    bunch of gpr jumping pics here:
    http://www.lt1ls1.com/Pics/PWC%20Pic...ave%20Jumping/

  6. #6
    we7313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    73

    GPR then

    How are the GP1300's for maintenance? I know the fzs will be better, but has it been a solid unit?

  7. #7
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    I cannot say how the gpr1300 is in the surf but i can say i was out today with my fzr of off CC with 3 foot swells and i was getting pretty damn high, i know what you mean about the wheelie jump but if you time the wave real nice, you get up there. Where i am, its not like in florida where you get 10 feet in the air easily, you really have to work the ski good and time the wave right.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by we7313 View Post
    How are the GP1300's for maintenance? I know the fzs will be better, but has it been a solid unit?
    get an 05 or up and they are rock solid

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    The GPR's are great for wave jumping. They have the power to launch and are lite enough to get good air. They land nice too. The 2-strokes don't mind being slapped around or flipped over. They also handle being over-reved coming off waves.

    I had 2 gpr's, but, let one go to move up to a Fzs. I like the bigger ski for a full day riding. Don't have to worry about water conditions. But, i'm hesitant so far about launching one off a wave w/o a blow off valve installed.

    Keeping the other gpr for those jumping days.

    You can pick up an 05+(no powervalves) starting at 5k. Leave it stock at 65mph. Change out intake grate(r&d 1200) (riva)D-plate in place of the cat con. and just enjoy.

    Theres a lot of good gpr jumping pics in this thread. Even a few amazing flying couches.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57100



    what the hell???

  10. #10
    I wouldnt worry unless you have modified it...I only know of 1 person who had their clutch go out when the ski was stock.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Guy - Need advice on a 2004 Yamaha Waverunner
    By DS3 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM
  2. Need advice on 1989 waverunner
    By gtxkid in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  3. Need advice on removeing a flywheel
    By GP1500SC in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
  4. Need advice on building an 80 mph ski in Florida...
    By rxpvic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 09:03 AM
  5. Need advice on selling my ski overseas?
    By Shibby1485 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •