Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 SLT750 Graphics De-Blinging

I think rlovebk, la90043, beerdart, and anyone else with an SLT750 will appreciate this......

Ala beerdart, I decided it was time to simplify the look of the SLT750. You either love or hate the metrosexual styling of these machines. I chose the latter.

With the purchase of my Virage this spring, I was going to make the SLT750 the wife's machine. However, she's already got her eye on the Virage. Just in case she gets her way (that NEVER happens ), I decided to de-bling the SLT.

I started by removing all the splash decals from the sides and front. I even removed the "Polaris SLT750" from above the rub rails. I was pretty pleased with the results, but still couldn't stand those pink stripes and the pink in the lion's head (thanks to K447 who clarified for me that it is a lion).

So, I started working on removing ALL the pink. This is what I ended up with. I think I'm going to add some yellow stripes where the pink stripes were and I might try to find or have some decals made that say "POLARIS SLT750" to replace the ones I removed....just not in pink!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_00022.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	139980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_00023.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	139981  

How did it go removing the decals, I have had the worst luck removing decals.. I guess a razor blade and a heat gun is not the best way to go, I keep cutting into the gellcoat and it ticking me off .. Cya Slick

It sucked at first, but then I found a technique. Heat with the heat gun ahead of where you are working. Then, start peeling. Works MUCH better. If you try to heat where you are working, as soon as the vinyl is up, if the heat from the gun gets anywhere near it, it melts/tears.

By the time I was done, I would heat a 18"x18" section so the fiberglass was pretty warm....then put the gun down and start peeling.

Try it....you'll like it.

Looks good. Post a picture of it when you get the new decals on it. It sure looks better than the SL1050 I saw near Kalamazoo. Someone had removed all the decals and the traction mats and completly painted the whole ski flat black, including the seat. Some people have a strange idea of what looks good.

I know how you feel. I have a SLT700 with the same colors. Im just going with it for now but I would like to remove all the stickers in the future and do a complete repaint. Just trying to come up with something. Cant just be one color because that looks ugly in my opinion. I saw an slt with no decals and id rather have the purple lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton G View Post
    Looks good. Post a picture of it when you get the new decals on it. It sure looks better than the SL1050 I saw near Kalamazoo. Someone had removed all the decals and the traction mats and completly painted the whole ski flat black, including the seat. Some people have a strange idea of what looks good.
    Thanks Clayton....not sure it will ever look "good." Just trying to make it look not-so-bad.

I will certainly post pics as I attempt to improve the retro-metro graphics.

Flat black??? I know they look bad, but I can't imagine hating it so much to completely ruin it with flat black. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by arsxlt View Post
    I know how you feel. I have a SLT700 with the same colors. Im just going with it for now but I would like to remove all the stickers in the future and do a complete repaint. Just trying to come up with something. Cant just be one color because that looks ugly in my opinion. I saw an slt with no decals and id rather have the purple lol.
    Yeah....I "went with it" as long as I could. It definitely looks a little bare now, which is why I'm now looking for some simple (spelled CHEAP) graphics to put back on. I thought about painting mine too, but I'd have to re-cover the seat and I'm too cheap to spend $85 on a new seat cover....at least until this one gets a hole or tear in it. (I only paid $750 for the machine AND the trailer, so it's hard to justify spending much money on decals or paint!!!). Also, I'm a little reluctant to paint some of the plastic because when it gets scratched, the original color will show through. That pretty much leaves me stuck with the purple rub rails and rear grab rail. The guy I bought it from installed some pretty nice purple hydro turf mats before I bought it, so I'm stuck with those too. If I limit myself to not covering the seat, that leaves me with white, teal (sorry....aquamarine, in Polaris speak), and purple to work with. I'd like to add something a little more "recent" to the mix. Yellow seems to be the best/only option I can think of right now, so that's where I'm headed.

Oh...I almost forgot. I just added sponsons to it yesterday, and they're a completely different shade of purple!!! The good news is they're not visible when it's in the water. I'm probably going to paint those too. If I'm not careful, it's going to look like a 64-pack of crayolas!!!

At the moment, I'm thinking about putting the "Polaris SLT750" back on above the rub rails in some purple/yellow or teal/yellow combination, adding a yellow stripe where I removed the pink stripe, and then putting a Polaris checkered flag or something like that on the side below the seat and/or at the front of the hull between the rub rails and the hood. There's some pretty cheap stuff up on ebay.....I'm going to do some thinking and maybe play around with some ideas on the PC before I buy anything.

Seems like there's enough of us that dislike the color scheme, that someone would come up with something simple and inexpensive to update the graphics on these things.

Hmmmm....all I need is a computer controlled vinyl cutting machine and.........

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2much2do View Post
    Oh...I almost forgot. I just added sponsons to it yesterday, and they're a completely different shade of purple!!! The good news is they're not visible when it's in the water. I'm probably going to paint those too. If I'm not careful, it's going to look like a 64-pack of crayolas!!!
    What shade of purple are they? Grape? I happen to like the color myself.
    If they are the color of my rails, I'll trade ya some white ones. Whatcha got?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3275.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	140139  

Holy crap, Starflight! I think they are that color. I'd be willing to trade you since I'm going to paint mine anyway. The only problem is mine are the shorter (23") sponsons, so I think you'd have an exposed hole in your hull (which may or may not be a closed-end rivet nut). I'm guessing you wouldn't want to do that. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks anyhow, but I need the 28" sponsons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information