+1

Reuse Exhaust Gaskets?

I put the three new gaskets on for the exhaust but this was the first time I did this and I blocked the water passage....wanted to make sure it was sealed real good lol. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing so it didn't work real well. Started overheating and got code A9UT. I pulled it apart and realized what I did and cleaned everything up real nice. The gaskets were new 3 days ago. Can I reuse them? Also, not sure if anybody has a pic to show where you should apply the gasket adhesive when installing the gaskets. It would help.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    They are crush gaskets, I wouldnt chance reusing them, with them being crush gaskets you also dont need sealant .............

+1
    Simple solution. Use copper spray instead of rtv/silicone. I wouldnt reuse them, but if you got some on order fuk it. reuse them and replace them when the new ones arrive. This way you can hit the water and see if you still have an over heating problem. Also check your hoses in the pump area. Make there still on.

+1
    I thought that people always sealed those ones up cause they would leak. I'll buy some copper spray at pep boys. Judging by the looks of the ones I just put on, I don't think I should even try to reuse them. Also, I guarantee that it won't overheat after the new ones go on. I pretty much blocked all the water passages. That was the only part that was hot. I was pulling the Right Stuff out of the water passage ways. It came out real nice. I'm just going to go golfing today and drink some beer. I'll forget about the pains of my ski for the day. Happy 4th guys!

+1
    As far as the copper spray goes, if I spray it, will it fill in the holes that the water travels through? If so, what precautions should I take? Hopefullly I can get it right this time lol! I guess essentially I'll break even on money for the weekend. I would have gone through at least 2 tanks of gas so with the money I saved on gas, I spent it on the new gaskets. I just had no fun.

Don't use any type of sealant with the new ones once you get them. Get both surfaces good and clean first and you won't have a problem.

David

+1
    I guess that is easy enough

don't forget you have over heated your exhuost ststem . you have to check all gasket surfaces , by putting something flat against it , if warp you have to resurfaces or replace part's. if resurfacing make sure there is no gap's between exhaust manifold an muffler body . file down the underside were the one bolt go's through muffler body . install exhaust system

+1
    I'll check when I put back together but total overheat time was around 5-7 seconds. I should be okay with that. But if something was going to go wrong, it would be with my ski.

+1
    as mentioned dont use a sealant. but for next time that you choose to use a sealant use the gasket as a reference and that is where you apply a thin amount of sealant you can apply straight to the gasket for ease.

Thread Information