Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 SPX Porpusing

I'm new to waverunners, I've road a Yamaha VXR Pro a little. I bought a 98 SPX it runs great tops out at 54 mph on a GPS but most of the time I can't hold any speed for very long it porpuses so bad I have to let off to get it to stop. The VTS works fine but won't stop the porpusing even trimmed all the way down. I weigh 245, am I to big for this SPX? My friend who weighs 190 doesn't have any trouble with it porpusing. Is there a modification I can make to stop this? or do I just need more experience. Sometimes I can't even outrun my friend on the VXR because I can't keep my SPX down after the holeshot. Thanks for any help.

Have you tried riding with a little more forward bias when you make these top speed runs? I have a 93 xp that is tiny under my 195 lb weight and it does sort of the same thing. I ride a bit forward and it helps but does not make it completely go away.

If I move as far foreward as I can I get some long 45-50 mph runs on calm water but it only takes a couple small waves and it won't stop until I slow way down. I probably just need more experience.

Buy an extended Ride Plate or Trim Tabs with 2mm shims underneath.

I am new to all this. Where would I order a ride plate or trim tabs?

The Trim Tabs are already on it. You can buy slightly longer ones or an extended RPlate but the quickest / least expensive way is to shim what you already have.

Get (6) Stainless Steel Washers with the same hole size as the Screws which hold the Trim Tabs on the underside/rear of the Hull. Grind off 1/2 diameter, loosen the (6) Trim Tab Screws and slide in each "shim" with the flat side of where you did the grinding facing forward. Tighten the (6) Trim Tab screws snug, don't over tighten. Ride and see if that helps. If it's not enough, then buy either an ended Ride Plate or Extended Trim Tabs for your Model.

Not sure if Jerry carries those in his on-line store (click "Links" on the Left) or not but if he doesn't he can probably direct you towards who does....

--DvD

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    what kind of water are you riding in? glass or chop? that hull will 90% of the time come unhooked in chop if you're trying to run WOT . this hull is almost a stand up. ride it like a dirt/street bike and I think that you will have better results. if not get the trim tabs and ride plate that has the trim tabs on it. I believe that R&D makes the kit.

Thanks guys! I will try shimming my tabs, if that doesn't work I'll try the extended tabs.(I found the set at R&D $165) I'm an old man, I have enough trouble staying on setting down, don't think I could ride standing. I ride mostly on calm water at Mississewa Lake, IN. I avoid weekends and whenever there are rough waters. We are going to Norris Lake, TN next month hope to ride a lot there.
    Thanks again!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    good looking 98 man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information