Thread: 99' SLX Mods

99' SLX Mods

Hey guys I just bought my first jet ski a couple of weeks ago and really didn't know how much different this thing was compare to some mid 90's Sea Doos that I have ridden. Comparitively this thing is a beast, but I am wandering what options I should be considering for add-ons.

I ride on a narrow lake and get kinda get beat up by the waves when riding the Polaris vs friend Sea Doo and Yahama. The polaris is much more powerful and fun. From reading post on this forum I was thinking about an OP ride plate but wanted to make sure it wouldn't make the thing so stable that I couldn't do spin outs.

Are there intakes, sponsoons, or anything else that might be a no brainer for someone with more ski experience.

Since I wouldnt know if I have an extended pump or not I took photos to try and help with any question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1663.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	140031

Name:	Picture 1665.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	140032

Name:	Picture 1669.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	140033

the o.p. is not smooth on bottom so yeah it will hamper your ability to spin out to a degree. The aftermarket sponsons definitely will.
    Longer rideplate, intake grates will make your ride more pleasurable(although the Polaris two seaters are a beating, period). Both the long rideplates and the intake grates will drop your MPH in smooth, but your *net mph* in the rough should increase(you can barely do anything in chop to begin with, you might actually be able to ride in semi rough water with longer rideplate and intake grate). I have several rideplates and intake grates. depending on which one you want, or how much you're looking to spend, I'll part with some of them. Some are worth more than others, or harder to find. How smooth/rough a lake you ride on??
    JOE

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Your slx has the extended pump and plate from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE96XP View Post
    the o.p. is not smooth on bottom so yeah it will hamper your ability to spin out to a degree. The aftermarket sponsons definitely will.
    Longer rideplate, intake grates will make your ride more pleasurable(although the Polaris two seaters are a beating, period). Both the long rideplates and the intake grates will drop your MPH in smooth, but your *net mph* in the rough should increase(you can barely do anything in chop to begin with, you might actually be able to ride in semi rough water with longer rideplate and intake grate). I have several rideplates and intake grates. depending on which one you want, or how much you're looking to spend, I'll part with some of them. Some are worth more than others, or harder to find. How smooth/rough a lake you ride on??
    JOE
    I would say it can definately get rough at times but not too choppy. I am very interested in the add-ons you have. Will the longer ride plate and intake grate increase take off speed also?

Are there other mods I should consider. I keep reading about different carbs, reeds, and intakes but most don't mention the SLX or the 1050.
    I am pretty happy with the overall power and torque but I may be interested in more power or torque by the end of the summer .

Since this is my first ski I am full of questions so I will apologize in advance. I have noticed several publications and accessories seem to skip the 99 slx, they will go up to 98 and then start again with 2000. Is this an odd or transition year for the ski?

Thanks again,
    Joe

+1
    Hey Joe. The 99 SLX is pretty much the same as the 98 SLXH (I don't know why they gave the 98 the crazy/confusing letters) It's also a 1050. In 2000-01 the SLX was a 1200.
    Your 1050 already has 40mm carbs and matching 40 mm intake. I'm not sure how much more carb a stock 1050 will take.
    You have the 3022025 heads on your 1050,there is deffinetly room to increase the compression. Get fimiliar with carb tuning if you plan to do engine mods .
    On my 97 1050 ,I noticed a good improvmant with the R&d "650" intake grate with hook up on rough water. It looks like you already have the stainless 6 vane stator,that helps with hook-up.
    A longer ride plate will help on take off (by keeping the nose down a little more)

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

mods

first replace all the grey fuel line on that ski.the slx isn't a relaxed or smooth riding ski.the rear of the hull has no vee,its basically rounded and thats what beats you up.the long op plate will make it track better at faster speeds but hinders turning.the stock plate has reliefs or notches at the back corners,those help it turn and because the op doesn't have those it doesn't turn as well.i've seen people cut the corners off the op's to get a better tracking plate and one that turns decent

+1
    Sounds like your ski is faster than all your buddy's already.

I really like my '00 SLX. They are fast but like smooth water. It takes balls to ride them hard on anything but glass.

From experience, pull your stator and make sure your seals are good and the bearings are greased. It's fairly expensive if these parts go bad. Happened to me when I got mine. Got a lot of help/guidance from Green Hulk.

Thread Information