Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Exclamation Optimize the SHO for Offshore??

    Hej everybody!

    I have spent some time on GH for awhile now and realise the knowledge you find among all the experienced pilots here is amazing. So I thought I might try this to see what I can gain, I have an FX SHO'08 with some mod's on it incl. R&D intake grate and R&D ride plate and other stuff. I am all happy with the top end speed at the moment (74,3 mph) but when going in choppy water I am too often airborne and can't keep up with the Kawi's...
    I read in another thread that the Stock ride plate is the best for offshore riding, is that confirmed?
    Any other tip you could give me? It's not easy at this stage since I feel adding more HP doesn't do the trick, I still need the boat to stay in the water rather than in the air.
    Any advice is highly appreciated.

    Thanks


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    5,589
    +1
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by hemedia View Post
    Hej everybody!

    I have spent some time on GH for awhile now and realise the knowledge you find among all the experienced pilots here is amazing. So I thought I might try this to see what I can gain, I have an FX SHO'08 with some mod's on it incl. R&D intake grate and R&D ride plate and other stuff. I am all happy with the top end speed at the moment (74,3 mph) but when going in choppy water I am too often airborne and can't keep up with the Kawi's...
    I read in another thread that the Stock ride plate is the best for offshore riding, is that confirmed?
    Any other tip you could give me? It's not easy at this stage since I feel adding more HP doesn't do the trick, I still need the boat to stay in the water rather than in the air.
    Any advice is highly appreciated.

    Thanks
    I have found that to be the case.

    I ride with several Ultra's and they are a great ski in the chop.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    I have found that to be the case.

    I ride with several Ultra's and they are a great ski in the chop.
    Thanks for reply SHOdude, what can be done to the SHO to make it a great ski in the chop? Except for using stock ride plate which I think will improve but will it bring my boat anyway near the Ultra's?? Or do you need a new hull attached to the engine?


  4. #4
    ^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia
    Posts
    163
    I do know that the FZS & FZR has a much larger inlet opening which helps tremendously in the big chop. I found that putting a little weight in the front storage compartment helps HUGE in crossing the chop at higher speeds. That is where the Ultra seems to lead is by cutting the water rather than going over it like the SHO will.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    5,589
    +1
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by hemedia View Post
    Thanks for reply SHOdude, what can be done to the SHO to make it a great ski in the chop? Except for using stock ride plate which I think will improve but will it bring my boat anyway near the Ultra's?? Or do you need a new hull attached to the engine?

    IMO, the best thing you can do is get the Riva intake grate, stock ride plate, trim down, WOT and hold on.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Whistler, BC
    Posts
    25

    TRIM

    Good question. I did a big crossing the week, and used the trim nose up for a dryer ride. Any thoughts on the trim settings?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The New Yamaha SHO for Offshore Racing
    By Socaloffshore in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
  2. Fzs or SHO for offshore
    By caymanian rida in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
  3. anyone make their own intake for the SHO?
    By allstar71 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 05:03 AM
  4. PWCOFFSHORE ranks the Kawi 250X #1 for offshore use
    By Socaloffshore in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM
  5. RIVA free flow exhaust for the SHO are now available
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •