yamaha gp800 help

my brother and i bought a 2000 yamaha gp800 from a friend of mine a few weeks ago and yesterday we took it to the beach finally , it started right away my brother was ridin as usual and then when it was my turn i hit the gas and the Rpms went really high but the waverunner wont go pass 4 mph , it goes up to 4 mph but the rpms reach the top .... we tried for a while hoping it was nothing bad but this is out first waverunner and we dont know what to look for .... can anybody please help us ? or let us know what might be wrong with it ... thanks a lot....

Get under the ski and look in the pump it sounds like you sucked something up.

i ll do that tomorrow first thing in the morning i hope thats what it is and anything too serious

Clayton le Woods, North West England,UK.
    Hope it is just something in the pump. If all looks clear, it could be the driveshaft coupling splines. There is a short shaft from the back of the motor which mates with the main drive shaft using a male/female spline arrangement, and these splines can corrode and strip (like my XL1200 did last year,after 8 years). It acted like yours - plenty revs but very little movement forward. Don't panic, it's not a massive job, and all the info you need is on G/H to do the job yourself. I may be wrong with this, and it may just be weed or something, but it sounds familiar!

Long Island NY
    yes i agree check the intake grate for sea weed and anything clogged in the pump

Thread Information