Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decal Removal

Decal Removal

I'm having real problems getting some of the decals of my ski. Some just peel away fine, but others have a SILVER backing, and just break into tiny pieces when I try to peel them. I've tried a hairdryer, but that didn't make any difference, and I damaged the paint trying a scraper blade (I'll be able to replace the original decal with a Yamaha badge or similar). It looks a mess now with some of the decal peeled off but the vast majority still keeping a tight grip! Has anyone got any ideas? It kills me how they put these warnings on about not letting the jet go up your rear (male) and front (fermale), and being liable to die if you don't follow safe practice! To add insult to injury us Brits have them in English AND French on our ski's!

Hey - I don't know for sure if this will work, but I got a tip from a Yamaha shop about cleaning up my fiberglass after sitting in the water for about 4 years and it just might take off the decals (I didn't try that). Zep Toilet Bowl Cleaner & Deodorizer. It has acid in it so wear gloves!

We removed the old name on my boat with a hot air gun (careful - much hotter than a hairdryer). Other than that you might try a vinyl wallpaper remover.

Let me know if you find something that works because I have to do the same thing with mine next week.

Hey thank's for that. If it doesn't work, at least the ski will smell fresh! I'll try to get some tomorrow!

+1
    look for OPPS.. it is a great sticker remover.. GOO GONE sucks compaired to this stuff.. or buy the little rubber sticker remover it goes on a drill THEY work we desticker our rescue vehicles with them

Who sells the OPPS? Hardware, automotive...

+1
    hardware store..

WD-40 works - I used it to remove sticker glue and the residue from replacing my hydro turf. I used a razor blade scraper after spraying on the WD-40 and it came right off - don't scrape hard. It seemed to work best to spray it and immediately scrape it off -in other words - it didn't come off any easier by letting it "soak" in.

There's a company called Hardline products who makes this stuff called sticker on and sticker off. basically it's a glue cutting agent like wd40 and soap combined. Works pretty well... But it's expensive, I'd just stick with wd.

The sticker on stuff is awesome for putting on big graphics though, allows you to slide them around and work out the bubbles and get them exactly where you want them.

And no, I'm not affiliated with this company, I just bought these 2 things recently to put some new graphics on my ski.

+1
    Acetone is what I use to take off any adhesive. I also bought plastic puddy knives from Wal Mart or HomeD. I let the acetone soak for a few minutes then scape with the scrapers. It works wonders on the contact cement that glues the mats to the footwells too.

Cheers guys. Thank's for all your input. I love this site for helpful advice and comments. Prism is right about the acetone. Paula (my wife) suggested to try her nail polish remover (which I noticed is acetone based) and it had the best effect so far! I've got the decals off with a combination of that, plastic scrapers and patience! Looks far better now. I might even be brave enough to go for a home re-spray job this coming winter to cover the nicks and battle scars I've picked up over the last few years! Regards to all @G/H.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information