Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

03 GTX Questions

Wife was saying that she wasn't getting a good hole shot. Seems to be a little more rattling than I like when I fired up the ski on dry land. I think the impeller ring and maybe the impeller itself is damaged.

Questions, since I am thinking of replacing the impeller and ring,

1. What is the stock spec?
    2. What is the top speed of the boat?
    3. Is there a better impeller for a hole shot?
    4. What is the trade off for that impeller?

I think I would have to trade some speed for a better get up and go shot so how much would I lose?

If the gap between the impeller is greater than .014", it's time for a new wear ring. The '03 GTX SC's came with pathetic plastic pumps that would deflect and wear the wear ring quickly. You can replace this with an '04 and later aluminum pump and the wear rings will last much longer. The '03s would top out at 61 - 62 GPS mph. You can go with a lower-pitched impeller for more accelleration, but less top end. The '03s would turn around 7600 rpms. So, you can have great accelleration to 55 mph, or less accelleration and hit 61 mph with different impellers. What rpms is your ski turning?... Ron

I think the wife would rather be able to jump up than hit top speed so if she loses 5-6 mph on top but gets a great hole shot so she can hit the throttle and not have to wait for it to spool up, she would be happier. Today, she hasn't even hit 7000 but she likes to be at say 3000 and hit it and make it accelerate without having to mash the throttle all the way. Her complain is that at higher RPMs it is ok but it isn't as sprightly as her 00 RX.

This pump. Is it the impeller housing assembly?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    I think the wife would rather be able to jump up than hit top speed so if she loses 5-6 mph on top but gets a great hole shot so she can hit the throttle and not have to wait for it to spool up, she would be happier. Today, she hasn't even hit 7000 but she likes to be at say 3000 and hit it and make it accelerate without having to mash the throttle all the way. Her complain is that at higher RPMs it is ok but it isn't as sprightly as her 00 RX.

This pump. Is it the impeller housing assembly?
    Yes, it is the impeller housing. Shine a light through both ends of the pump (rear, looking through the steering nozzle, AND the front, shining the light through the intake grate) and look for worn rings in the plastic wear ring that wraps around the impeller. Also look for bent/damaged impeller blades.

Since SC problems occur at 6700 or so on the 185's, I would expect the problem to be pump-related. Is this the SC model or the NA (Naturally Aspirated)? I looked but may have missed it. --J

This is the SC model

If it's only hitting 7000 rpms it's either over-propped, loosing boost or the SC is slipping. What is the GPS speed at 7000 rpms?... Ron

The SC was checked out to be fine by a Seadoo mechanic when he torqued it and it was within spec a few weeks ago. Only 3 hrs on it since.

I will have to check what it does at 7000 rpm on a GPS next week.

With a flashlight, I do see some scratches on the wear ring.

Bill O'neal suggested that the pump which wasn't the greatest to begin with might be at fault and that at some point, should be replaced with an updated one that was better built for less problems. Any idea who has a used one?

+1
    The SC was checked out to be fine by a Seadoo mechanic when he torqued it and it was within spec a few weeks ago. Only 3 hrs on it since.

I will have to check what it does at 7000 rpm on a GPS next week.

With a flashlight, I do see some scratches on the wear ring.

Bill O'neal suggested that the pump which wasn't the greatest to begin with might be at fault and that at some point, should be replaced with an updated one that was better built for less problems. Any idea who has a used one?
    The Seadoo mechanic checked everything...so we hope it is good.

The pump that you are currently using...is it plastic or metal? If it is plastic, then, yes, update/upgrade it.

The scratches you see using a light...do they look like minor scratches or bigger scatches/gouges? Does it look like the impeller rubbed the wearring, or rocks have scratched it? If you are not sure, replace it anyway.

600 RPM is a lot to be off on just the prop, but it could be part of the problem. --J

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    The Seadoo mechanic checked everything...so we hope it is good.

The pump that you are currently using...is it plastic or metal? If it is plastic, then, yes, update/upgrade it.

The scratches you see using a light...do they look like minor scratches or bigger scatches/gouges? Does it look like the impeller rubbed the wearring, or rocks have scratched it? If you are not sure, replace it anyway.
    I saw the torque wrench myself at 45in/lbs and according to the spec for a SC that has some use on it, it seems acceptable.

I will have to check that one out tonight.

It looks like bigger scratches and gouges, at least 1 gouge.

I thought that as long as we were going there and the wife was not happy with the hole shot and was willing to lose something on top, why not simply change to a better impeller or at least one that will give her the hole shot she wants? She doesn't care about going 70 mph. She wants instant power when she hits the throttle instead of waiting for it to get up to a higher RPM.

+1
    I saw the torque wrench myself at 45in/lbs and according to the spec for a SC that has some use on it, it seems acceptable.

I will have to check that one out tonight.

It looks like bigger scratches and gouges, at least 1 gouge.

I thought that as long as we were going there and the wife was not happy with the hole shot and was willing to lose something on top, why not simply change to a better impeller or at least one that will give her the hole shot she wants? She doesn't care about going 70 mph. She wants instant power when she hits the throttle instead of waiting for it to get up to a higher RPM.
    Check on the pump.

Holeshot = Skat 3 blade

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information