Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 kawasaki stx15f only reaching 40-50mph at times strong spurs to 63mph?

bough this 2006 kawasaki stx15f ran great when i test drove it. Took the jet ski out for the first time after purchase, ran great! very powerful. Used the jet ski that one day for about 4hours ran great. Got it home washed it with fresh water rinsed outside the jet ski and then washed the inside making sure it was all rinsed with fresh water like i was told to do. then i plugged in my water hose from my house to the fresh water rinse plug that it has in the front turned it on and let it run for a couple of minutes with fresh water. took the hose of got most of the water out of the engine by running it for about 10 seconds with no water and called it good. put the jetski away. two weekend later which happens to be this weekend take it out on the water and it does not want to reach 63mph, it would only go about 45-50 then at times it would have this strong spurts that would reach 63mph. it did this a couple of times during the time that we were out on the water. could this be a bad spark plug or dirty fuel filter? the first day we had it out on the water a ran it with just regular unleaded and this weekend i ran the jet ski with premium unleaded could this have anything to do with it? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would start with changing your plugs. How do the ones that are in there look?

i will check and get back to you.

i will check and get back to you. thank you for your quick response.

You only mention top speed, not how the ski was running. Does the ski sound normal, or is it running rough when you can only reach 45mph? What are the rpms when you are topping out at 45mph?

I have an 03 12f and have mostly run 92 octane in it unless I'm filling up at a marina (most only have 89). One tank of regular wouldn't hurt a 15f, IMO.

sounds like plugs. After you washed the engine, did you leave the seat off to dry?

thank for your advice

I changed the spark plugs drained all the old fuel, bought a chemical to get any water that might be in the fuel system and flushed out the fuel filter and reinstalled it. It ran great! i beleive it was the pugs... should i always try to run premium fuel?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanjun10 View Post
    I changed the spark plugs drained all the old fuel, bought a chemical to get any water that might be in the fuel system and flushed out the fuel filter and reinstalled it. It ran great! i beleive it was the pugs... should i always try to run premium fuel?
    Get a bottle of sea foam and run it in the fuel .. That will clean the fuel system and clean out any water that might be in the fuel and run premium gas .. 92 or 93 octane

Doesn't the manual require 87 octane gas? That's what I run in mine. So does my dealer
    in his ski.

I only run 93 oct, but I have a stage one kit from Skiworx.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Stock ski run 87 octane, except in hot weather, then 91-93 is ok.
    Hot being 100 +

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information