2005 RXT Could use some advice on rebuild

Hello all - Time to ask for some advice

I have a pair of 2005 RXT's with almost 100 hours each on them. I was getting them ready for their first outing this year (I know, I am late getting to the water this year, to much NASCAR!) and the batteries were not holding a good charge (I did fully charge them in the fall when I winterized and had them disconnected for the winter), no biggie, bought new batteries for both of them. Started them in the garage before taking to the water, all seemed well (ran them for 30 seconds each to get the antifreeze out in my garage instead of into the lake).

Went to the lake. Backed the trailer into the water and took one of them for a quick spin accros the lake (2 minutes) all seemed fine (Don't think I went to full speed, don't really remember), handed it off to a friend. I took the second one out and was giving it a workout when I noticed the other ski was not moving. I drove over and asked the guy what was wrong. He said that he was driving and dropped to idle. As he was getting ready to go again the motor died. He tried to restart and it did but it turned over like it had a weak battery. I traded him skis and I started the motor (it did turn over slowly). I took off accross the lake and the ski was not running well (low power, top end about 40 mph). Drove it back to the trailer and took it out of the water. Tried to restart it again.... no crank

When I got home I hooked a battery tester (I assumed I had a battery problem but the battery tested fine. When I tried to start the voltage dropped to 5 volts..... when I loaded it with the battery tester it stayed above 12 volts..... OK, the problem was not the battery.

Came to the forum, heard some folks say the SC can sieze, keeping the engine from turning over. I hopped this was not my problem since I used this forum last year (when I bought the Skis used) to send Jerry my SCs to have the ceramic washers replaced with steel and get them checked out. They have less than 20 hours since then. Long story short(er), the SC is fragged. The gear is gone from the end of the SC with some evidence of heat damage. The gear inside the engine feels ok where I can reach it... but I cannot reach much of it. I pulled the plugs out (none of them are damaged so I am hoping the valve didn't hit a piston) and the engine still does not turn over.

So what do I need from you?
    1st: My assumption is the SC fragged, shrapnel clogged the oil pickup and I spun the bearings, siezing the engine. Am I missing a test or something else I can do before pulling the engine for a rebuild?

2nd: I am comfortable rebuilding engines (V-8s) but this would be my first 4-tec. I would like to know what special tools I would need and any other helpful hints.... (I do have the the Sea-Doo manuals, bought off ebay last year).

Sorry this was so long - thanks in advance for your help

You know what they say about assuming....?

Pull the sc and have a look see....what's missing?

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Pull the SC and take pictures. Go ahead and pull the head and check for damage. Take pictures if anything looks wrong.

I'm sorry the first post was to long..... you must have fallen asleep reading it....

I did pull the SC and the gear is gone from the drive end (with some obvious signs of heat).... I can take some pictures but suffice it to say that I have metal in the engine.

What I am looking for is advice on the best way forward at this point.

Since I have metal in the engine, do I pull it and go thru it? or is it possible that I have something else that is keeping the engine from turning over (starter? I know it would be a wild coincidence for the starter to fail at the same time as the SC.... but I don't want to move on to rebuild if I don't have to)

And a list of must have tools for rebuilding would be nice...

The best source for parts would also be helpful.

Thanks

Long story short(er), the SC is fragged. The gear is gone from the end of the SC with some evidence of heat damage. The gear inside the engine feels ok where I can reach it... but I cannot reach much of it. I pulled the plugs out (none of them are damaged so I am hoping the valve didn't hit a piston) and the engine still does not turn over.
    I don't know how I missunderstood this paragraph.

Sorry.

So, Any advice?

Where do I get parts?

Special Tools?

Thx

+1
    Order a workshop manual at the greenhulk shop,there you will find all info needed.

You will need a few special tools.

Look also in the howto section of this forum,you will find a lot of pics and info.

Hope this helps you.

Thread Information