Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Catching Up

GPR1200 Bogging?

Guys,

Need a little help, have a '00 GPR 1200. Bought used with a blown motor. Replaced it and did the break in. But it bogs on the bottom end. From an idle when you hit it, it falls on its face. Had a bogging problem before and ended up having a bad power valve motor. I sent the carbs off and had them rebuilt and cleaned up. Ski has a stock displacement motor, stock prop, and D plate.

Any Thoughts?

+1
    bad gas? Did you clean the fuel tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Guys,

Need a little help, have a '00 GPR 1200. Bought used with a blown motor. Replaced it and did the break in. But it bogs on the bottom end. From an idle when you hit it, it falls on its face. Had a bogging problem before and ended up having a bad power valve motor. I sent the carbs off and had them rebuilt and cleaned up. Ski has a stock displacement motor, stock prop, and D plate.

Any Thoughts?
    Does it clear it self out eventually and take off? Sounds like your low end is way to rich.

Catching Up
    I'm pretty sure it's not bad gas, I had about the last two bars of the second break in tank with premix in it from a few weeks ago and then had filled up the rest of the tank with gas that morning. And my wife was riding our 1300 and she didn't have any hesitation problems.

Good thought though.

Catching Up
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRsmartarse View Post
    Does it clear it self out eventually and take off? Sounds like your low end is way to rich.
    If you go about half throttle or less and get it rolling up to around 3500 to 4000 and then pin it runs pretty decent. Actually feels like it spins or cavitates a little. But that could be from the stock impellor not having the same hit that I'm used too from what I have on the 1300. Plus I haven't sealed the pump and put a new intake grate on the 1200.

I'm new to the carb world so here's a newbie question. How can I tell if it's pig rich on the low end and how can I adjust it? Or should I leave it alone until I get another tank or so through to clean out any residule premix out of the fuel system since I haven't had a full tank through it yet with out the premix?

I was hoping to have it done and so I could take it to MudBug this year and see if I couldn't get some help on fine tuning it but work put a stop to that

Catching Up
    Thx for the help so far, I'm a little slow well alot slow when it come to the carbs.

If you go about half throttle or less and get it rolling up to around 3500 to 4000 and then pin it runs pretty decent. Actually feels like it spins or cavitates a little. But that could be from the stock impellor not having the same hit that I'm used too from what I have on the 1300. Plus I haven't sealed the pump and put a new intake grate on the 1200.

I'm new to the carb world so here's a newbie question. How can I tell if it's pig rich on the low end and how can I adjust it? Or should I leave it alone until I get another tank or so through to clean out any residule premix out of the fuel system since I haven't had a full tank through it yet with out the premix?

I was hoping to have it done and so I could take it to MudBug this year and see if I couldn't get some help on fine tuning it but work put a stop to that
    If you are running the stock pump setup then i would say yes, you are cavitating. The GP1200R had a crappy holeshot. I would seal the pump and slap a 13/19 on there and that should make a big difference. It still will not have the get up and go of the 1300 but it will be noticeably different.

When you cavitate the engine should not bog. It should rev up you just do not go anywhere.

When do you mean my residual premix? It is a two stroke and it has to be mixed unless I am missing something. What is the oil ratio you are using? If you are are already moving a bit and it does not bog it sounds like either you have too much oil in your gas, your carbs are rich or your plugs could use a changing. Maybe all of the above.

The stock carbs can not be adjusted unless you have the t-handle adjuster screws on them.

If it's rich on the low end, it will smoke quite a bit and you'll be able to smell the raw gas out of the exhaust. I had a bogging problem with mine and the rear cylinder wasn't getting any fuel at all. No difference in rpm when I pulled the rear plug wire off at idle. I had them rebuilt by Island Racing and it's all good again. You may have clogged carbs too, but I would think it would do it throughout the entire rpm range, not just the bottom. I think your mixture is off one way or the other.

Catching Up
    Thanks Guys,

I think based on what ya'll said I think I will run a few more tanks through it and make sure all the break in premix is through it. If it will bog like that from too much oil then that could be it. I've had dirt bikes load up before but what the ski was doing felt different. I'll give it a little time, keep an eye on it and see if it clears up.

When I referenced the premix residual I was talking about what was still in the system from the break in period. When I was premixing on top of the oil injection.

Thanks Guys,

I think based on what ya'll said I think I will run a few more tanks through it and make sure all the break in premix is through it. If it will bog like that from too much oil then that could be it. I've had dirt bikes load up before but what the ski was doing felt different. I'll give it a little time, keep an eye on it and see if it clears up.

When I referenced the premix residual I was talking about what was still in the system from the break in period. When I was premixing on top of the oil injection.
    I read in another post that you can tell if a cylender is running lean by looking at the piston, if its all black then its lean, if it has a clean spot where the fuel shoots in then its good, if most of the piston looks clean then its rich.

(Im not an expert here at all, just repeating what I read. Maybe Bill could correct or confirm my post here.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information