WTF... 96GSX help needed....

Long story short...The GSX has been running GREAT! until last week. Last weekend I went to take it out and noticed it was sitting ass heavy when I lowered the lift. So I so I put it back up and took the seat off. The hull was about 1/3 full of water!!!! I drained the hull and set it in the water. No new water coming in. So I tied it up and started it in the lake, then the water works started. The exhaust manifold had a bad leak at a frost plug that had corroded and finally blew just at the welds. (Odd since it has never seen salt water ) Got a new plug welded in and put it back into the water. Started it and no exhaust leaks or water leaks.

Here is where murphys law sets in....It started and idled smooth as usual. Took it out and let it warm for about 2 minutes at idle. Cracked the throttle and it started to climb out of the water then all of a sudden it started to chug. Not bog down but more of a studder. Can't get it above 3K. If I drop the rpm to just under 2k it smooths out and runs good. I turned around to go back to the dock (I am now about 5 minutes out from the dock) about half way back I tried to give it more throttle and it jumps right out of the water. Running as good as usual. So I ran it for about a half an hour and it is running great. I stop to get more fuel and after fueling its back to the shake and bake studder until you run it for about 3-5 minutes under 2k then it will smooth out and run great. ...

Here is what I have done so far to track down the problem:

1. Compression check: PTO side: 146psi cold. Mag Side 148psi cold.
    2. Removed the fuel filter and cleaned it. Just a little bits of crap in the bottom
    3. By passed the fuel selector switch
    4. Removed the carbs and cleaned them. (Rebuilt them last season) just a little crap in the carb filters.
    5. New Plugs
    6. Shortened the plug wires. (OHMs within spec)
    7. Opened up the power distribution box next to the battery thinking there was water in the box... Box was dry BUT the top electrical harness plug in was full of water so I dried it out with compressed air and added dielectric grease to the harness and pins.

Last season all the fuel lines were replaced and carbs rebuilt.

I cannot for the life of me figure what is up. Like I said it starts right up and idles smooth as silk at 1350 RPM. Climb the RPM past 2k and it flat out stumbles and chugs. Let it cruise around for about 3-5 minutes under 2k and it will start running good as usual. Stop the engine for any amount of time and you will have to go through the 3-5 minute chug a lug before it will run.

Any Suggestions??? before I sink the damn thing?

MaxDoc

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Replace the rectifier. When bad, it gives the symptoms you describe.

To confirm split open your gray box, unplug the thick red wire on the recitifier (there will be only 3 more yellow wires, for identification), reinstall, and take it for a ride. It should not hesitate and rip like normal.

Don't ride too long as you are not charging, and running solely off the battery.

Send donations for your headache elimination solution to...

Thanks Mr. 96XPSS I will give that a shot....

I always appreciate your input. You were a great help last year when my bro in law and I bought this 96 and a 97GXS that was sitting in storage for the past 4 years and they needed a lot of TLC to get running.
    MaxDoc

+1
    maxdoc,

What does it idle at out of the water?

I'm assuming when idles at 1350 RPM you're in the water?

- specs., water idle = 1500 RPM out of the water = 3000 RPM

You mentioned you removed the carbs and found minor debris, hopefully you're not having a gas flow issue.

Quote Originally Posted by maxdoc View Post
    I always appreciate your input. You were a great help last year when my bro in law and I bought this 96 and a 97GXS that was sitting in storage for the past 4 years and they needed a lot of TLC to get running.
    MaxDoc
    Anytime man! And kudos for your trobleshooting attempts so far.

A bad rectifier will make you scratch your head at the intermittent symptoms, fortunately my cousin was the guinea pig (and her dealer) on this, as it happened to her on her 96 XP. After an MPEM, coil, carb rebuild, CDI, and stator, they finally nailed the problem.

Mr. Petron

Thanks for the reply. It idles just a hair under 3k out of the water.

As for the fuel issue that was my original thought. I by-passed the fuel selector thinking it may have been clogged by running the reserve feed directly to the main fuel filter. The fuel tank was cleaned out last year when I bought it so there was no dirt or crap in the tank. I also replaced the float in the fuel baffle tube to repair the gas gauge. At that time I cleaned the pick up screen on it as well. When I removed the carbs I tested the pop off, pressure tested the fuel pump diaphragm, etc and all was good. I rebuilt the carbs last year so they were clean with the exception of just a little bit of debris in the filters. All the fuel lines were replaced as well.

I know its getting fuel as it will run just great if you let the boat run under 2k for 3-5 minutes. Its that first 3-5 minutes that it will start to take off normally but crap out at the 2k mark. That is what left me scratching my head. I was at the point of thinking about an "accidental" fire and wisper "help help" as I was getting the hot dogs ready to cook.

The rectifier is my next target.
    MaxDoc

The symptoms do feel like a fuel issue at first. It also drops a cylinder when it will not rev, making you think it is an ignition problem too. Like a bad ground.

It starts very intermittent and infrequent at first, then consistently gets more frequent, until it does it every time you crank it.

When the rectifier fails it produces too much DC voltage, and the electronics doesn't know what to doo with it. Water will boil out of your lead-acid battery (if you have one).

It is crazy-weird, but I've had people flat refuse to believe me when I tell them to check it. Over the years I've replied to over 40 threads just like this.

+1
    You're right, it does sound like a lack of fuel at first. Like any problem solving issue with our skies is always a process of elimination.

Maxdoc, keep us posted on your situation.

Thanks Mr. 96XPSS....

You were spot on in the diagnosis...I disconnected the red wire and it ran great! Replaced the rectifier and the world is spinning again!
    MaxDoc

Quote Originally Posted by maxdoc View Post
    You were spot on in the diagnosis...I disconnected the red wire and it ran great! Replaced the rectifier and the world is spinning again!
    MaxDoc
    Cool! Have a beverage for me and enjoy the ride!

Thread Information