Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 150 Will not start on angle

I have a 2004 MSX150 and it will not start when the back end is lower than the front. When I lower my lift so the back is in the water it just cranks and doesn't even try to start. Once I lift it up level it will start right up and continue running fine even once I lower it back in the water. Any ideas please help.

+1
    Hi Craig and WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!! When the rear is lowered into the water it turns over or you get nothing, not even a click??
    Or does it turn over and just not start?
    If so, I'd try another battery or a jumper box just to see what happens. When the rear is in the water you have the resistance of the water against the impeller and maybe the battery is just to weak to rotate the engine fast enough to start.

PH2OCRAFT, thanks for the response. When I lower it the engine will crank over fine but just won't start. Almost like it's not getting fuel. I just put a new battery in this year so I don't think it's a battery issue. I am wondering if maybe the fuel pick up or pump is in the front of the tank or something, but it does it even full of fuel so that doesn't quite make sense either. I'm stumped.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsscraig View Post
    ...the engine will crank over fine but just won't start.

... I just put a new battery in this year so I don't think it's a battery issue...
    New batteries can still become weak.

Cranking speed is not the acid test. The only test that matters is the voltage the battery can deliver while cranking.

Put a multi-meter on the battery posts, and crank the engine. If the voltage is below 10.6 volts, you will not have spark.

Also check the charging voltage when the engine is running. Voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts with engine running.

What you are saying makes complete sense; but it starts fine in the water as long as it's sitting pretty close to level. So I don't think its an issue of to much resistance in the water. I really think it's something to do with the fuel pick up or something.

+1
    So let's start at the beginning. Do you have fuel pressure while tilted? Have you verified spark while tilted?
    I've seen an auto with a loose crank position sensor and it would fail while in the angled driveway but not on the street.

ph2ocraft, well no I have not verified fuel pressure or spark while on an angle, I guess thats the next steps. I will look in my maintenance manual and check how to check for those 2 items. Thanks again for your help.

+1
    Let us know if you lose fuel pressure or spark and we can go from there. This is a curious one...

I am having a similar problem with my machine. I can start it fine on the trailer, all day long first try, when I put her in the water, no start. I am not sure what angles are involved but it is perplexing to say the least.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check battery voltage while cranking in the water. Must be over 10.5 volts, and a strong battery will be 11.0 volts or higher, while cranking.

Also remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and the battery posts. Make sure the engine block connection has clean metal and a clean bolt.

Clean both heavy terminals on the start solenoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information