Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Broken sponson bracket and minor hull damage

So I hit an underwater log at 68mph out on the river and banged the hull up a bit. It also caught the left sponson, lifted the front end of it through the hull about an inch and a half, and snapped the bracket between the first and middle bolt hole. The rest of the bracket seemed to stay glued to the hull and the remaining bolt holes are there. The cracks in the gelkote on the hull I can fix with some marine tex, but I am stumped on how to get the sponson insert issue fixed. I can still get to the broken insert, put a bolt in it and hope what's left of the bracket will be enough to hold as I can not get to it to glue it back on. How do I patch the hole that was left by the sponson bolt shifting up when I can't get back there to lay down some fiberglass and epoxy? I have hardly any experience in bodywork, but have lots of patience and spare time. Thanks for your input.

Here's a couple of pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-07-04 07.28.05.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	140315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-07-05 21.25.15.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	140316  

Take it to a fiberglass guy.

These hulls aren't actually fiberglass but SMC, correct? Given that assumption, I would try to talk to a couple of experienced fiberglass guys, preferably who have repaired this material before, and at least get their input on what kind of materials (resin specifically) to use before attempting to repair yourself. But your repair will basically be to cut away the damaged area and build it up with fiberglass, then smooth and paint (or gelcoat). Might be best to pay an expert.

Do you have full coverage? If so, i'd make a claim. It'll be at-fault, but it might be worth it.

IMO your first picture looks scarier than your second. These hulls get their strength (stiffness at least) from their shape as much as anything, and compromising it right at the edge like that would concern me. As for the sponson hole, just cut out the damage, glass it up, and replace the insert.

+1
    Yes the material is SMC.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, it looks worse than it really is, being that I still have little shards of wood stuck in the cracks. Just havent gotten around to clean them out and prep the area as I'm still contemplating whether I should take it to a pro, or do it myself. I certainly won't be half-assing it if I do decide to take care of it myself. From what I've read on here, and from what a couple of friends have told me, marine tex works really well on smc, being that it is epoxy based.
    I've also read about applying epoxy primer and a few coats of urethane paint to finish it off. Does sound pretty simple. I think I'll at least prep it and see if there is any underlying structural damage, and if there is, I'll stop and take it to a shop.
    As far as the hole near the sponson, I planned on prepping it, and filling the pocket in the buoyancy foam now created by sponson insert breaking off and moving upward with 5200 and let that set before any further hull work. Dunno. Any additional thoughts or concerns?

wood stuck in there or not, those cracks do not look good. I'd imagine that a proper repair would involve cutting all around them, drying out the foam behind them, and then rebuilding the area with fiberglass.

Must have been a pretty good sized chunk of wood at a pretty fast speed to do that damage.

Ok I've found no evidence of cracks or water intrusion. Took around 3/16" off of the hull. I'll throw down a couple sheets of fiber and goop that up with marine tex tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0868.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	140401  

I can still see the cracks there.

Take enough off that you can get a good repair (cosmetically speaking) after you lay down the fiberglass but be careful not to go through the hull around the edges.

Take a dremel with a small bit and grind out the cracks so that the resin / adhesive you use to repair it bonds with the cracks better.

And marine-tex is probably not what you want to use. Do a little research on the proper fiberglass resin to use with SMC and use that.

It doesn't look quite as bad sanded down, but I can still see the cracks there so i'm pretty sure they go all the way through. If you got it out of the water quick enough, there may not be any water intrusion.

Thanks Dave, I must agree I have to take some more material off. You know come to think of it, I have some leftover West System 105 epoxy from my pump tunnel reinforcement project. Not sure how sandable and paintable it is, but it sure grips to smc like crazy. What do you think?

I'm far from a fiberglass guy, but another thread around here said you need to use epoxy, and I know west systems is one of the more reputable brands of fiberglass resin. I'd use that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information