Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ain't nothing like a good PEEP Show!!!!! wertz6's Avatar

GP1300R Help, Was left for dead on the lake this weekend, HELP!!!

I took the ski out this weekend to only get about 10 min out of it before it stalled. It never started after that. I took it home and noticed that the oil was extremely low, but the oil light never came on. I filled it with oil and it started. I put it on the hose the next day and it ran for about two min and seemed fine. Took it back to the lake and then wouldn't start at the ramp. I need help with this before I get raped at a shop. It sounds like it wants to kick over but it doesn't what could it be and could I fix it myself. I really want to learn how to wrench my ski and only know so much about it. I'm going to change all the spark plugs today. Thanks for the help guys.

--Jeff

Start by charging up the battery and doing a compression check. While you're at it, replace the plugs (if the compression looks good) and see what happens.

If you suffered some kind of failure from lack of oil, it should show up on the compresion check. But I would think that the machine would shut itself down when oil got too low, before it starved itself. Why it wouldn't alarm first, I don't know.

Also, it could just be a completely unrelated problem.

RE:

Thanks Dave, I'll try this. Is there a way to do a compression check without taking the ski to the shop?

RE:

Thanks, I'll get one and try it. If this isn't the answer what else could it possibly be?

is it cranking over and not starting, or is it not even cranking?

It could be something electrical. Could be bad plugs or bad gas. Could be just about anything. Just start with the basics. If you get it charged up and do a compression check and all the cylinders are the same and show good compression, it's probably either fuel or spark related. If there's a problem with the compression, well, it's more serious.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wertz6 View Post
    Thanks, I'll get one and try it. If this isn't the answer what else could it possibly be?
    If you have compression there's only a couple things it could be that causes the ski to not run. Exhaust Temp sensor, Water temp sensor, your TPS is off, or the EFI controller may have water in the connections. Do you have a d-plate? But if you ran that ski to empty on the oil good chance you may have seized the motor

RE:

it's crancking but not turning over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wertz6 View Post
    it's crancking but not turning over.
    Those sensors will cause that to happen. I had water get into my efi controller harness and i pulled it apart cleaned it up and put it back together and the ski started right back up again.

RE:

OK, after working on it last night I have some clearity. The Battery is fine, placed new spark plugs, preformed a compression test and all is fine at 115 in all cyl. Did try to start it after that and it turned over for like 2 seconds. I do belive I have it down to 1 of three things now. water in the EFI (which I'm going to try first tonight), if its not that then its the fuel pump or filter. It seems like its not getting enough or any gas just burning oil. Does all of this sound right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information