96xp won't come off idle easy

bone stock engine in a 1996 XP800

Recently I have been having a problem with the ski dying out if given throttle off of idle. The best way to get it to come off idle has been to yank the choke quickly while giving it slight throttle. Once I get off of idle it runs fine though. Runs WOT and partial throttle awesome.

In my fairly un-educated opinion it almost feels like it's flooding out when you give it throttle too fast, as if it were running rich and/or gas was collecting in the carbs when idling around in circles. Maybe it eats gas pretty quickly too. My friend's '08 250x went through 1/4 a tank of gas running all day and my little xp barely made it back to the dock at the end of the day on a full tank.

The ski also misfires randomly at idle but not so often that the ski runs roughly.

Most of the fuel lines were already changed out when I bought the ski but I am unsure if the carb screens were cleaned. Considering I had to take the carbs off myself to change the small lengths of grey line under the exhaust manifolds I would say that the previous owner got lazy when it came to cleaning out the screens.

At this point a carb reuibld can wait until winter because the problem isn't as big of an inconvienience as having my ski down for a few weeks without a garage (currently in transition from an apartment to a house and the ski sleeps in a storage unit)

So, any advice on the subject is welcomed, I would prefer the ski to run its best for as long as possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislaw View Post
    bone stock engine in a 1996 XP800

Recently I have been having a problem with the ski dying out if given throttle off of idle. The best way to get it to come off idle has been to yank the choke quickly while giving it slight throttle. Once I get off of idle it runs fine though. Runs WOT and partial throttle awesome.

sounds like you're running lean....have you ever cleaned the carbs, changed the fuel lines, or cleaned your fuel selector valve

In my fairly un-educated opinion it almost feels like it's flooding out when you give it throttle too fast, as if it were running rich and/or gas was collecting in the carbs when idling around in circles. Maybe it eats gas pretty quickly too. My friend's '08 250x went through 1/4 a tank of gas running all day and my little xp barely made it back to the dock at the end of the day on a full tank.

im guessing the 250x gas tank is probably twice the size of the xp tank, on my xp going full throttle a full tank will last about 40 minutes if lucky!

The ski also misfires randomly at idle but not so often that the ski runs roughly.

sounds like its running lean again check your high and low speed circuit adjustments

Most of the fuel lines were already changed out when I bought the ski but I am unsure if the carb screens were cleaned. Considering I had to take the carbs off myself to change the small lengths of grey line under the exhaust manifolds I would say that the previous owner got lazy when it came to cleaning out the screens.

At this point a carb reuibld can wait until winter because the problem isn't as big of an inconvienience as having my ski down for a few weeks without a garage (currently in transition from an apartment to a house and the ski sleeps in a storage unit)

why not do it when you have a free afternoon, if your just cleaning them it only took me about a hour, if rebuilding them(which is easy to do) figure a couple hours...its well worth rebuilding them

So, any advice on the subject is welcomed, I would prefer the ski to run its best for as long as possible.

if you've got any questions feel free to pm me

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You don't need to rebuild the carbs, just disassemble and clean them, including the filter screens.

A lean bog is hard to differentiate between a rich bog. But it is lean.

Also remove the fuel selector switch, and clean it too, as it is probably restricting.

If you still have the off idle issue after you clean your carb screens, the low speed adjusters are on the bottom of the carbs on the pto sides. A quarter turn out will richen it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    You don't need to rebuild the carbs, just disassemble and clean them, including the filter screens.

A lean bog is hard to differentiate between a rich bog. But it is lean.

Also remove the fuel selector switch, and clean it too, as it is probably restricting.
    won't I need a whole new set of gaskets to replace the ones on it as I take it apart? I mean that's what I meant by rebuilding it.

if you are carefull you shouldnt need any thing unless you have a bad diaphram etc.

wow same prob i'm having with a 94 xp with 657x engine will be cleaning carbs today and putting back together let yall know if it helps and how long it takes

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislaw View Post
    won't I need a whole new set of gaskets to replace the ones on it as I take it apart? I mean that's what I meant by rebuilding it.
    That's what I thought you meant, that's why I posted this way. Just be careful of the carb to intake gaskets. If it's the first time off, they may tear on you.

It's not like automotive, you can disassemble and clean, and reassemble with existing parts. Many times if necessary.

So have at it if you want...

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    That's what I thought you meant, that's why I posted this way. Just be careful of the carb to intake gaskets. If it's the first time off, they may tear on you.

It's not like automotive, you can disassemble and clean, and reassemble with existing parts. Many times if necessary.

So have at it if you want...
    Haha, I've actually already taken the carbs off of the intake and they only had grey rtv used, so I've just put a new layer of that back on when I re-installed them...

Thread Information