Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ocean Jumping and the Riva Through Hull

Went out jumping today and was having problems with the ski after a few jumps. It didn't feel like the TOPS sensor I kind of felt like the water box was loaded with water. I just got the IC fully flushed out and for a while I thought that I may have done too good of a job and there was too much water going into the exhaust. But on calm water I was running a lot better. I don't know if maybe on landings the exhaust was getting water loaded in there or something since I would land almost vert all the time.

On the flats It was running a little low on RPM down a couple hundred or so but still felt good.

Basically I would jump for a little Idle then punching it out then landing and idle again and after a short time the motor would bog hard when I hit the gas. Then I would go around the the calm stuff and run her out a little and the throttle response would be back where it should be.

Does this sound like too much water in the water box and could it be from jumping??

Nothin huh.

Well I took her out today with mixed results. First off the bat she was running horrible. the motor was bogging down real hard. All my riding was on smooth stuff today and I have no Idea why it was running so bad at first.

After a few horrible sounding WOT runs It came around and started to feel normal again throttle response back and good top end RPM's.

Now by the end of the day she was pulling real hard and sounding nice then..... High Temp

There is a ton of grass out by me right now and as much as I try not to I'm sure I ran over a ton.

Is it at all possible that when I cleaned my IC there was too much flow through it at first and it was causing the waterbox to be too full? It seemed as went on in the day the ski got real peppy and just as I was like daym this thing is running nice.......High temp. Almost as if the grass had slowly cloged the IC and made her run better right before the High temp problem came back.

I'm not too familiar with how the waterbox works so this is just an Idea.

Now I have to go pull the IC and put it on a acid flush

If anyone has some ideas that would be great.

+1
    Wild stab, but you just cleaned the intercooler. Did you pressure test it after you did? Im wondering if your leaking water into the intake. That would make it bog and run bad. I know you have a riva intercooler (a high quality unit) but I worry about the cheap ebay ones, they may work now, but ina few months they fail and your motor may hydrolock and be destroyed when it does.

Yeah I checked it out after the flush and it's still solid. I feel like my problem lies in the waterbox for some reason. Like it was getting too much water or not evacuating fast enough or something.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Nick... come riding tomorrow!

we're meeting at the shop 10:30am... dropping few skis in and riding.. me, rob, chris, mr. tom, my dad, maybe jay but probably not.

think the ski will be ok just zipping around on flat water in the marsh?

I'll be wrenching that thing back together in the morning. I got the IC clear already just have to pop it back in......

See you guys at the shop. Now if it starts acting up again you guys can see what I am talking about. Hopefully it won't though.....

+1
    Sounds to me like your intake was getting wet.

GP told me that exactly what you described can happen with a through hull. If you are somewhat upright when you land it can force water into the waterbox and it makes it bog bad until it blows the excess water out.

i would say the same thing, that you filled up the exhaust with water

i guess thats when one of those flappers would be good

+1
    I rode the Saturday before Katrina in Lake Ponchatrain. Was getting very vertical for hours. Never had an exhaust loading issue. Did have an intake (Riva) issue with water between seat and hull dripping right on the filter. Would do EXACTLY as described. Would take a minute for charger to suck all the water through the filter. If it was exhaust loading, the secong you hit the gas it would clear. Not in minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information