+1

Question help with gtx-sc cavitating

I have an 03 gtx-sc with a metal pump upgrade and a solas impeller. THis thing will not stop cavitating. I've taken the pump out 3 times now, sealed everything, checked the boot on the carbon ring and it's still cavitating.

Got any advice? I am not sure of the pitch on the solas, this thing was turning 7190 rpm in 85 degree weather and 82 degree water.

The wear ring looks good, I rotated it on the last pump removal but noticed that it can spin pretty freely in the housing. Shouldn't it be screwed down?

I also sealed the impeller nose cone to the impeller to keep it from sliding up the drive shaft.... Any advice?

Mike, IIRC only the plastic pumps had screws for the wear ring - 2 on each side. I haven't had the metal pump off in a few years, so I' m not sure if it has screws or not. But I think not because I don't remember seeing them when I put the pump on... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Mike, IIRC only the plastic pumps had screws for the wear ring - 2 on each side. I haven't had the metal pump off in a few years, so I' m not sure if it has screws or not. But I think not because I don't remember seeing them when I put the pump on... Ron
    no screws in the 2005 185hp, for what its worth...but it should not be spinning freely.

With optimal RPM being 7600 on that ski, we need to find 400 RPM, right. My initial thought is that the prop should be bent to get the RPM.

Worn ring, bent/damaged prop, wrong prop, damaged pump, worn carbon seal, misaligned engine. Any other ideas, guys? --J

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrin View Post
    I have an 03 gtx-sc with a metal pump upgrade and a solas impeller. THis thing will not stop cavitating. I've taken the pump out 3 times now, sealed everything, checked the boot on the carbon ring and it's still cavitating.

Got any advice? I am not sure of the pitch on the solas, this thing was turning 7190 rpm in 85 degree weather and 82 degree water.

The wear ring looks good, I rotated it on the last pump removal but noticed that it can spin pretty freely in the housing. Shouldn't it be screwed down?

I also sealed the impeller nose cone to the impeller to keep it from sliding up the drive shaft.... Any advice?
    Mike I had changed out everything on my 06 RXP and it still cavitated, until I went with the skat trac driveline seal, all cavitation gone ever since....no problems. Best $230 I spent. It was always sucking some amount of air through the pump with the OEM carbon seal, but not anymore.

+1
    the solas 12/20 on a stock 185 hp ski, will oly turn 7100-7200, dont mess with it yet, its not the CAV proble i dont think.
    is the rubber seal that goes btw the pump and the shoe there?? is it flat, not folded or pinched??
    try a differnt pump from another GTX SC??
    eliminat pump as the issue. wear ring shoud not spin at all, mne was very snug. i woud replace it .
    therre are no screws to hold the wear rings on the metal pumps.

just very tight fit. since the old one will probalby just slide out. pull it and use the freezeer trick to get the new one in. dont have to pull the impeller.

Banned User
    +1
    Spinning freely is a major problem, there is your missing RPM...If its spinning inside, then it is wearing the inside metal too. It needs a set screw or two NOW, do not ride it any more...

Mike, we still gonna try to meet up for dinner this friday?

Pirates81, where did you purchase your skat trac driveline seal? I'm dealing with the same issue on the same ride. I just put a metal pump in and now I need to test it out. If the pump isn't my problem, I'm going to check into the carbon seal issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Spinning freely is a major problem, there is your missing RPM...If its spinning inside, then it is wearing the inside metal too. It needs a set screw or two NOW, do not ride it any more...

Mike, we still gonna try to meet up for dinner this friday?
    the nose cone is sealed to the impeller using silicone. I got tired of it sliding up the shaft... that's what she said... sound like we'll replace the wear ring and try again.

I am sick and tired of taking this pump off the ski..

Friday is good. give me a call 913 232 0653 and we can figure out where.

Thread Information