my ski runs like a turd

last weekend I finally got the chance to take my rxt out for the first time this year. well, it ran like crap so I pulled the plugs and one of them looked like it was fouled up so I replaced them all. this weekend I took the ski out and it ran GREAT for a about ten minutes until I hit a no wake zone and I had to crawl through it for about five mintues. when i reached an area i could give it the throttle it started breaking up and my rpms were around 6000. after some wide open runs I got it to clear out a little and got the rpms up to 7000. I just pulled the plugs and they all looked good I also pulled the injectors and cleaned all the contacts. I started it on the hose and it seemed like it had good throttle reponse for about 5-10 seconds and then it sounded like it was breaking up a little. any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS Rich

The first two things that I would do is put some fresh gas in it and change the plugs... Ron

+1
    Rich, check to see that your RRFPR is still at the correct base pressure and that all lines are hooked up/in good shape. I set my RRFPR at 62 and 2 weeks later it dropped by itself to 57. I am certain I tightened the nut. Maybe these things take so much abuse that something can rattle loose.

yeah Id say gas? all new gas and all new plugs...easy, cheap start.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Rich, check to see that your RRFPR is still at the correct base pressure and that all lines are hooked up/in good shape. I set my RRFPR at 62 and 2 weeks later it dropped by itself to 57. I am certain I tightened the nut. Maybe these things take so much abuse that something can rattle loose.
    Hey fizzle, how r u? I did check the rrfpr and it was at 60. that what i had it set at last year. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WinniCandle View Post
    yeah Id say gas? all new gas and all new plugs...easy, cheap start.
    it does have fresh plugs in it but i ll try some fresh gas and see what happens. its kind of crazy because when i first put it in after the new plugs it ran great for 10 minutes until i had to idle through a no wake zone

could a coil be crapping out on me or even a bad injector?

Quote Originally Posted by rwells173 View Post
    could a coil be crapping out on me or even a bad injector?

Same issue happened to me. FOund out it is one of my coils...Are your coils wet?

If the other things don't fix your problem check your coils. I've had that happen three times. Coil all three times. I've found a "shade tree" way to easily isolate the faulty coil. Remove all three coils. One at a time, take a coil put a plug it it. Plug in the connector and lay it on the valve cover. Spin the engine over. If it arcs to the valve cover out of the side coil between the plastic and rubber piece it's the one misfiring. I've also sealed them with RTV, (between the spark plug boot and the plastic housing),as a temp fix in the past. Also sometimes the plastic cracks on the side and it'll arc right through the crack. I was having problems because I would get water in them rinsing the engine off. Starting coating the rubber seal at the top with dielectric grease to resolve the repeat coil pack problem.

i just called a local dealer to buy new coils.... $ 100 each

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0060 View Post
    Same issue happened to me. FOund out it is one of my coils...Are your coils wet?
    they looked dry

Quote Originally Posted by dduck1628 View Post
    If the other things don't fix your problem check your coils. I've had that happen three times. Coil all three times. I've found a "shade tree" way to easily isolate the faulty coil. Remove all three coils. One at a time, take a coil put a plug it it. Plug in the connector and lay it on the valve cover. Spin the engine over. If it arcs to the valve cover out of the side coil between the plastic and rubber piece it's the one misfiring. I've also sealed them with RTV, (between the spark plug boot and the plastic housing),as a temp fix in the past. Also sometimes the plastic cracks on the side and it'll arc right through the crack. I was having problems because I would get water in them rinsing the engine off. Starting coating the rubber seal at the top with dielectric grease to resolve the repeat coil pack problem.
    good tips, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0060 View Post
    i just called a local dealer to buy new coils.... $ 100 each
    wow, they ain t cheap

Thread Information