1995 Waveraider 1100 getting too much oil/Mechanic suggestions?

I recently bought a 1995 Yamaha Waveraider 1100 and have been running it the last 2 weeks. I am running yamalube, which is what the previous owner was also using, but for some reason, this thing is smoking like crazy out the exhaust. Seems to me like it is burning way too much oil. As a rough guess, it seems like I am burning half a tank of oil (1/2 gallon) for about 1 1/2 tanks a gas. FWIW, I just put new spark plugs in it as well, and from what I can remember, it seems to be smoking more now that it did before...?

I am just wondering if there are any suggestions on what I should check, and/or if it would be a good idea to just go pre-mix on the machine??

Also, I think the ski could also use a tune-up. Seems to bog down on the low end a lot. I am in Cleveland, OH and was wondering if anyone on here knows of any good/quality places in the Cleveland area that I could take it to get it looked at?

I will also be using the search function here on the forums to try to find some more information on the above problem(s), but I don't have the time at the moment, as I am at work.

I really appreciate any/all help/expertise - Thanks Much!

Anderson, Indiana
    I would drop the oil injection and run the ski premixed at 50:1 if stock...40:1 if modded. I would also go through your carbs and rebuild them including new Needle/Seats. The carbs are 38 Mikuni carbs w/ remote fuel pump which is mounted to the #3 carb. Change the filter "fuel". The ski will always smoke and some oils will smoke less if it bothers you...but it costs more. Likely you needles are leaking from wear.

Thread Information