Thread: 98 xpl

98 xpl

I have a 98 xpl that I just picked up for cheap with a double trailer,guy tha owned it put alot of money in the ski,coffman pipe,buckshot head and carbs,microtouch rev limiter,umi steering list goes on and on..anyway the motor was locked up had new pistons new crank,when the motor was put back together they didn't even use any sealer on the crank cases...had water in the frontcase..I am in the process in redoing the crank and topend..eveything else is good.I even got the stock parts except the carbs,I have heard bad things on the buckhot carbs?I want the hp but still want some reliablty?Any ideas?I want to keep the pipe and head the domes are 44cc,1 is pitted up pretty good,Are the miller domes the same as the buckshots?I am open for ideas..here is a few pic's of the ski.
    Also the cylinder is std bore and can you believe the guy still had the grey tempo fuel lines???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo parts 001.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	140384  
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    yes the miller made the domes for buckshot

miller domes

what kind of compression will I have with the 44 domes?So also will the miller o-ring head gasket work also with the buckshothead?Which domes are pretty much the same as stock heads?I want it to run good and have some reliability..
    Also on the 98 model I thought the rectifier was bolted to the mpem?
    I don't see it there....maybe its a newer mpem,wouldn't with having the rev limiter the mpem was remapped??
    Sorry I am new to all this mod stuff....
    also on the pic's of the domes can they be fixed??
    sorry for all the ??'s

+1
    The rectifier is in the front of the ski, nounted to it's own little bracket, in between the oil tank (or it's location) and the elec box. The MPEM isn't necessarily remapped, but it should have been with the mods. An aftermarket rev limiter (if that's what you have). Tells me that it is NOT re-mapped, and somebody just added a microtouch box for the rpm's.

Buckshots and miller are identical...
    compression will depend on squish, elevation, timing, base gasket etc, etc.. Probably 150ish..

Stock head is around 50cc, so you should get 49cc domes which will put you at about 130 compression.

The dome on the left is toast.. the one on the right may be able to get cleaned up, but it will cost more than just buying a new dome.

mods

Dsolie
    The buckshots are 44cc domes...you said stock were 50cc and to get 49 domes and have 130 compression,??Do i want lower compression for this motor to be reliable?Also on the buckshot carbs,what is your imput on these? hard to tune?I will be boring the std cylinders out...also what about the base gasket?

carbs

Are these 50 buckshots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo parts 009.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	140435  

+1
    If you want reliability and be able to run 91-92 octane safely, you will want the 49cc domes.

yes, those are 50mm bucks.. a PAIN IN THE A** to tune, but have there moments of greatness. The fuel rail you have on the carbs is the std setup. There is a better setup where you modify the center of the rail for the in, and the two outside ports are the returns. Or, if you are running a dual outlet fuel pump, one "in" goes to each side port, and the middle outlet is the return. The stock rail setup from Buck can starve the farthest carb and cause additional tuning issues.

Base gasket will depend on a LOT of factors, what octane do you plan on running, rec ski or are you going to race it, altitude, what domes are you planning on running, what are ALL the mods on the ski?

Thread Information