Thread: Flushing

Rodney, you plonker...

Flushing

HI all! i'm a bit of a newbie, just wondering if any of you can give me some advice, i have searched far and wide to try and figure it out for myself but hey ho, why not simply ask eh?
    i want to fit a flushing port to my Polaris Virage (700cc), by the means of a home brew 'T' piece to a standard hose lock fitting, so we can wash it out after going in salt water, can anyone give me some clues as to where i can fit it? like the best place for it to flush fresh water through?
    i already understand fully about the flushing procedure, engine running, then water etc, like a first in, last out kinda procedure.

thanks a bunch in advance guys!

The water routing for these skis comes from the jet pump to the pipe, then thru the engine to eventually exit from the cooling rail on top of the cylinders. You should have a flush fitting already in the cooling rail- this is the best place to flush from. If you install a T in either the incoming or exit hoses you would have to pinch off the part of the hose going toward the back of the boat to force the water to go thru the engine.

Rodney, you plonker...
    ah yes, i think i found it on the cooling rail, a big 22mm brass bolt is in there, what fitting are needed for connection from that to a hozelock? surely they are standard sizes and threads etc?

Rodney, you plonker...
    After trying some stuff out i found that a standard size UK household radiator fitting was the perfect match for the hole.
    I got a piece of flexi-pipe to a hozelock fitting, turned the engine on, turned on the hozepipe on low pressuse, and ran it to see if it worked. I think it did as I get plenty of water coming through the pump and impeller, although non seems to come out of the exhaust; is this normal? or do i need to give it more water pressure? or possibly kink a pipe to re-direct the flow elsewhere? As i thought it had to flush through the exhaust system too.

And thanks for the explanation and help too, much appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have both the thermostat and the pressure by-pass plunger installed inside the thermostat housing?

If not, then you may need to force more water flow through the engine with a clamp on the water exit hose from the engine (thermostat housing exit).

There is a small mesh screen filter and exhaust water injection restriction fitting that cools the exhaust flow. You may need to locate these and make sure they are not clogged.

Rodney, you plonker...
    Right, i shall check them out, although im not sure i put enough water pressure on, it wasnt on that much, i will see about the mesh screen and restrictor too, im sure i spotted them in the service manuals online
    And as for the thermostat and the pressure by-pass plunger? i don't know myself at the moment, still getting to grips with what's what, really all i know is that it's been kept factory standard, so would that be factory standard?

on an off-topic, i can see a small amount of daylight around the impeller, is that normal? or will a new impeller be required soon? it did seem to have a slight "wobbly" feeling when accelerating hard...

.020 thousands is gap limit between impeller and wear ring

Thread Information