Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

waveraider 1100 woes

what's up fellows. been a member to to the forum bout a year but this is my first post. bought a pair of 1100"s last year.95 runs great but 96 not so much. i'm pretty new to the watercraft world but try to read all i can.i know there's a few raider guys on here so i'm hoping for a little insight, help and mercy along the way while i try to learn a little bit.searched thru the site but haven't had much luck , so any advice would be hugely appreciated.96 is a little harder to start but not a big deal.starts and runs on hose but as soon as it's sitting in water it won't run.checked compression and is about 118 across board. not sure but i think stock is 120 or so. new fuel filter.thought it was carb related.i know there was a recall and carb repair kit for 96 raiders at one time but don't know if this got it or not. adjusted carbs from scratch per factory service manual specs just a little fatter cuz don't know exactly what i'm doing and scared of being too lean.starts and runs great on hose but not in water.seems like pressure of sitting in water is too much. trying to do all i can to not go to dealer shop if it's something simple. also has new plugs & gas .any suggestions ?

+1
    When you say it won't run....you mean it won't run at all zero...nada? Or just won't saty running?

M

well , the few times it did run in water it would try to idle but dead as soon as you touched the throttle.mostly will not start. it wants to run but just wont idle.even on hose it is harder to start if water on prior to starting than if i start it and then turn water on.don't know which is the correct method or if it matters.any thoughts on what it might be? i've not pulled carbs off and don't know if they have been rebuilt.

+1
    Dont' run it again until you check compression and rebuild your carbs assuming your compression test goes well. You should have about 120psi per cylinder on a cold engine witht the throttle at wide open when turnign the engine over.

M

+1
    And NEVER turn the water on then the ski always ski first then water right after.

+1
    Ooops...seen you did a compression test already..my bad. I would start with the carbs and see what they look like inside. They are very skeptical to becoming plugged up which can cause your ski to run lean.

M

hey , i really appreciate y'alls help. thanks Mpeavler and Flying Scotsman.couple of questions ... 1. best place to get a mikuni rebuild kit and do you need three or 1 kit cover all 3 carbs ? 2. i've never rebuilt a set of carbs but work on most of my other toys and would like to learn to do it myself provided there's some kind of guide or instructions to follow and you don't need a degree in rocket surgery.what's the success rate on a 1st timer building these carbs or should i even attempt it ? 3. this may sound like a completely stupid question but i'm willing to go out on that limb for the hopes of a nuggett of wisdom,what type of screwdriver are y'all using to tune on these carbs ? i've used every driver from flex to keychain but yet to find the magic screwdriver to fit while tuning. i mean it's tight in there. once again THANKS and please bare with me.

+1
    I would in your case since the 38's on your ski have an external pump, contact John at Jet ski soultions and have him send you the parts since you need none of the pump componets that normally come with a rebuild kit.

Replace these also -Needles/Seats - Yours are likely 1.2 ....but you can use 1.5's also...if you use flame arr

get intake gaskets....and rebuilding them is pretty forward...and if you have questions, there are pleny of folks that will/can help you

M

ok fellas,todays lookin a tad brighter. last i couldn't get 96 ( bone stock ) to run in water. last 2 days wouldn't start at all. back to square 1. fresh charged batt. gettin fire. plugs dripping wet. lines all looked ok. #3 fuel line had 1/4" split at end. clipped it back. didn't look like it was leaking. check valve good. did notice fuel filters on 95 &96 ( bone stock ) .2 diff directions. arrows face to front or back or does it matter? looked thru forum but didn't find an answer. maybe a lame question.....

sooo.... adjusted carbs per specs again. took my time ,this time...
    those hi-speed screws are a beach to reach.... just touched starter, fired rite up. little more fine tuning and it starts and runs better than ever,..DRY , that is...
    puttin it in water tomorrow & see if it runs wet...

Mpeavler , thanks for the tips. i talked to john today at jetskisolutions . ordered the carb rebuild parts. he fixed me right up.
    question ... yami gaskets ok or is there something better ?

whats the tach to have for tuning9 within reason )? any preference by you guys that use em alot ? again, thanks for the insight........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by H20LOGD View Post
    ok fellas,todays lookin a tad brighter. last i couldn't get 96 ( bone stock ) to run in water. last 2 days wouldn't start at all. back to square 1. fresh charged batt. gettin fire. plugs dripping wet. lines all looked ok. #3 fuel line had 1/4" split at end. clipped it back. didn't look like it was leaking. check valve good. did notice fuel filters on 95 &96 ( bone stock ) .2 diff directions. arrows face to front or back or does it matter? looked thru forum but didn't find an answer. maybe a lame question.....

fuel filter should face the way the fuel flows to the carbs. (arrow) and no lame questions...if you don't know, ask.

sooo.... adjusted carbs per specs again. took my time ,this time...
    those hi-speed screws are a beach to reach.... just touched starter, fired rite up. little more fine tuning and it starts and runs better than ever,..DRY , that is...
    puttin it in water tomorrow & see if it runs wet...

Mpeavler , thanks for the tips. i talked to john today at jetskisolutions . ordered the carb rebuild parts. he fixed me right up.
    question ... yami gaskets ok or is there something better ?

IMO..nothing is better then OEM....thats what I always use if possible. They are pricy...but each thier own.

whats the tach to have for tuning9 within reason )? any preference by you guys that use em alot ?

I use a pet 2100dx.....but you could get away witha commercial verison of the tiny tach

again, thanks for the insight........

Np...just be careful tunning without a tach...very dangerous!

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information