Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1992 Polaris 650 SL Troubles!

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and jet skis, I have 2 92 Polaris 650SL skis. One runs great, even without the triple outlet pump attached, but when you accelerate, it revs high, but seems to "peel out" in the water, but if you do circles and let it get going it flies, and especially with 2 people on it takes along time of circles until it really kicks in. Its almost like a car when its neutral then shoved into drive it just takes off. Impeller not grabbing? I have no idea... 2nd ski will only do about 5 mph, if you accelerate the throttle anymore it will bog down and die. I think it might be a fuel pump problem so I ordered the mikuni triple outlet pump, After looking at the plugs on it, only one has the brown color of use, and the other two have a white substance on it? I read its water but not sure what to do. But I would imagine the 2 cylinders are not getting gas. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I have read hours of forums, but would like a direct answer to these questions if anyone has the knowledge. Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Peel out sounds like cavatation. May need to re-seal the pump to the hull. Not a bad time to upgrade the pump to a 94 and newer style.

Or it may have stripped splines on the driveshaft, impeller, or engine coupler.

Ski 2 needs a compression test done. :et us know what you find.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for useful info

Thanks for the quick replies

First thanks for the replies, much help.. but i stumbled upon a new question. The first jet ski which runs well but has a slight cavitation problem so it seems, i looked at the back of the impeller through the intake grate, and noticed "notches" or teeth from the impeller were not snug against the other notches from the driveshaft??? anyways I took pictures, because the one that is not running has the impellers teeth snug.. Take a look and see what you think, I am almost thinking it literally running in neutral until those teeth catch, but maybe I'm completely off base.. Any feedback is much appreciated total newbie here!!

Heres the one with "cavitation problems"

Heres the one that doesnt run well enough to know if it has problems. It looks right though.

Also while I got you readers here!! I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket intake grate too help feed the pump, is there a semi cheap one that works, or do I have to go to the nice R&D or Worx ones? I found one on ebay called a fischer dual scoop intake grate for 50?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLAR...Q5fAccessories I don't wanna go halway then decide I shoulda just bought the nice one. THANKS!!

+1
    There should be rubber bumpers on the drive shaft ends. Maybe the one inside the engine coupler is missing?

Make sure the jet pump pieces are "seated" inside one another. There shouldn't be any gaps between the parts.

That grate would work well in keeping the pump hooked up in rough water. Not sure if it would scrube a little off the top speed though.

Update

Ok so I took the back off (pump housing?) with the impeller and what not... There was a black rubber ring around it and it was chewed to shreds, Would this be a probable cause of cavitation?? Also can I just seal it with marine silicone or do i have to replace the black rubber ring??? also the picture from my last reply were clint said there should be a rubber ring? where do I get that. I do see it in the manual but no reference to what it is, I cleaned everything really good back here and am anxious to put it back on with silicone so let me know your thoughts! Thanks again

+1
    That's the O ring to seal the grease in for the splines. You need a new O ring, silicone won't hold up.

Most likely won't cause cavitation either.

Not rubber ring, but a rubber bumper. One on each end of the drive shaft.

There's nothing in the jet pump that needs to be siliconed FYI.

+1
    Pull the drive shaft out of the impeller and the engine. For comparison purposes, you might want to pull both jet pumps.

Check both ends of the drive shaft for the rubber bumpers (item 6 in the diagram).

The first picture it looks like the splines on the drive shaft are completely stripped away where the shaft is inside the impeller, except for the last couple of mm on the shaft.

If you can post clear photos of both ends of each drive shaft(s), we can verify if the drive shaft splines are in good condition.

This would also be a good time to check the bearings for each impeller. There should be zero wobble, play, grinding or noise in the bearings, just smooth impeller rotation.

Alright new update

First I think I was misunderstood on the O-Ring, although you did answer one of my questions, the o-ring right before the impeller side of the drive shaft is missing.. I am missing one rubber bumper which I think was why there was a gap.. and the ring I was speaking of that was torn to shreds was a big O-ring or some ring between the pump housing and the hull.. probably 6 inches or so big.. I'm wondering if it is necessary or you can just put a good bead of silicone there in place, seems marine sealant would be better to hold then the ring anyways?? Got the new triple fuel pumps installed in both but am not sure where to get 2 "blockers" for the other side of the carbs that usually continue to the next carb.. Also where can I find a rubber bumper as shown in the diagram above?? And I've decided to leave the stock intake grate on due to how bad the seal on the pump housing was so I really think that was the cause of my cavitation.. I didn't even have to pull hard it just came right off the seal was minimum and as I said earlier the ring was torn to shreds.. photos of progress posted below!!!~~!!! Hopefully can take this thing to the lake in the morning if I can find the "blockers" for the fuel line.. and reseal the pump and get a rubber bumper!! AND..... last question for the night I promise, I tried to "feel" for the fuel restrictor on the return line and cannot feel one in either, is it possible neither of them have them, what would signs of no fuel restrictor be??

Heres the ring that was around the pump housing that I was referring to, it was this and lots of shreds!!

Here was the picture after removing pump housing, lots of that black ring stuck to variious places scraped it and got it spotless now..

Also this picture shows a greenish soapish liquid on it, it was connected to the motor directly for the "pulse"?? Not real sure what the pulse is and why it had this stuff on it...

Any feedback is appreciated so far your guys help has helped me out a ton!!

+1
    Check the splines inside the impeller and the coupler on the engine. Do not stick your finger in there.

The splines should all be square profile, not rounded or angled.

Parts can be ordered from any of these sources.
    Or a local Polaris dealer

Parts diagrams and part number cross references can be found here.

You may need to check the alignment of the pump to the engine, since you have removed the pump base. Poor alignment can cause excessive wear in the drive line, and sometimes also vibration.

Since you have the drive shaft out, now would be a good time to replace the seals in the through-hull assembly.

Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

For the carbs, you can use short sections of brass rod inserted into short sections of fuel hose. Use clamps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information