Thread: New Ski
07-07-2009, 07:41 AM #1
My 2000 XL 1200 LTD blew up (motor locked up) on me this past weekend. After talking with my service guy, he confirmed what I thought by telling me to get rid of the 1200 and get a new ski. It would just be more than what the ski is worth to replace the motor. So, between now and next Spring, I am doing as much research as I can to find the "perfect" ski. I am currently looking into the FZSs (I think, I want the 3 seat version, so the wife and I or daughter and I can ride together comfortably). So, if any of y'all have any thoughts, comments, reasons not to buy one, reasons to get one, things to look out for, etc... Please post them so that I can make the best informed decision I can when it comes time buy my new ski. I am hoping that by waiting till next spring I should be able to get a really good deal on a 2009 rather than paying full price for one right now.
07-07-2009, 09:06 AM #2
I have the FZS and really like it. It's speed and handling are impressive to all that have ridden mine. The lake I live on gets chopped-up a little (12"-24" sometimes a bit more) and it's just enough to get the ski out of the water. My R & D intake grate helped this and am looking forward to getting the ride plate for some more speed (modified by Jim). I GPS'd mine last Sunday in terrible conditions and got just under 64 mph on one of two really short bursts. I weigh a svelte 260 pounds.
Don't really know much about your LTD but my FZS is A LOT faster than my 2000 SLX (and I thought that was kinda quick ).
Incidentally, I changed my oil for the 10 hour service this weekend and realized I need a different fluid remover. I tried one made for this and it didn't work at all so I made one that I could use while holding a cocktail (note the cocktail in the cup holder).
You can see the "system" is working in the second pic but even with the GFI on the power supply, it looked like an accident waiting to happen.
Good luck with your search.
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM #3
If you plan on riding 3-up fairly often, I would look at the SHO instead of the FZS. Little bit more room and more stability. Think, "luxury performance". The FZS is still a two-seater to me.
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM #4
No, I would only ride 2 people on the ski at one time. I have done the 3 person thing a few times, and don't like the unstable feel I get while traveling through the rough chop that my lake gets alot of the time. And most of the time will be spent with one person on it, ME. LOL
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM #5
- Join Date
- Dec 2007
2000 XL 1200 LTD right at 10 years old she was ready to retire may she RIP good ole yammi . hey those tears will go away soon as you can get a hold of one of these new skis, FZS/FZR are great skis and you will fall in love with it just take one for a ride but i'll WARN you of one thing dont take a ride anytime soon on one because you prob will not be able to wait til spring 2010 to get one, best of luck when you get the new ski
07-08-2009, 04:01 AM #6
- Join Date
- May 2009
I have an FZS and my father has the FZR and we agree the FZS is the best way to go. Same specs, same feel when riding, and the legal capability to hold 3 people. However if u really plan on having 3 people constantly i would like some have said look at teh SHO
07-08-2009, 06:20 AM #7
- Join Date
- Oct 2007
- Brisbane, Australia
2008 SHO Cruiser.
Lots of gadgets and the only way to fly!!!
Should be cheap been a year old but just make sure it was made after the coupling mod. Otherwise bulletproof.
07-08-2009, 09:28 AM #8
If you take long rides, the cruise control on the SHO is a really nice feature.
07-08-2009, 10:19 AM #9
- Join Date
- Oct 2008
FZS, carves like nothing elseSHO, cruises like nothing else
07-09-2009, 08:02 AM #10
Well, I went to a local dealership last night just to look at the new FZS (cause I have never seen one in person) and it was love at first sight. That thing just looks bada**. My only issue now is to decide on whether to take my ski in (spend the money) to see IF it can be fixed. IF it can be fixed should I fix it BEFORE getting rid of it for the new one (I know I would get more money for the trade if it is running)? OR should I just let my ski sit as is and save the money I would spend on investigating the cause and the fix, and get a lower amount of trade in cause it doesn't run? Decisions Decisions. What would y'all do??? To Fix or not to fix, that is the question. lol
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By JIM'S PERFORMANCE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 14Last Post: 10-31-2009, 03:37 PM
By Billd in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
By START in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
By Green Hulk in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 26Last Post: 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
By jack in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 06-10-2005, 02:10 PM