03 GTX Jet Pump change

First of all, I'm a n00b here (my first post), so forgive me if my etiquette is not correct.

I am thinking of swapping out the plastic jet pump on my '03 GTX. From everything I have read, I can replace it with an '04 or later to get an aluminum one (please correct me if I'm wrong). A couple of questions:

1) Can I just swap out the impeller housing? Will the old nozzle (I believe its metal) and all the guts still work? Or do I need to replace the entire jet pump, nozzle and all?

2) Can I just order the 2004 OEM pump? Or, is there a better performance, after market pump to order? If so, anyone have a link or contact?

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Battalion View Post
    First of all, I'm a n00b here (my first post), so forgive me if my etiquette is not correct.

I am thinking of swapping out the plastic jet pump on my '03 GTX. From everything I have read, I can replace it with an '04 or later to get an aluminum one (please correct me if I'm wrong). A couple of questions:

1) Can I just swap out the impeller housing? Will the old nozzle (I believe its metal) and all the guts still work? Or do I need to replace the entire jet pump, nozzle and all?

2) Can I just order the 2004 OEM pump? Or, is there a better performance, after market pump to order? If so, anyone have a link or contact?

Any help is appreciated!

Why are you wanting to change out your jet pump? Are you having issues?

My wear ring is shot and I am going to put a new impeller in for better hole shot. While I was doing that, I thought I swap out the plastic jet pump for a metal one. I had read that the plastic jet pump on the '03s would flex under high heat/heavy load and that a metal one is better. Maybe this isn't true?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Battalion View Post

Any help is appreciated!
    Yes, swap out that plastic pump when you can. You should be able to replace just the pump housing, but I would go ahead and replace the bearings, wear ring, etc, while you are at it. Keep your prop and pump gasket, and be careful when removing threaded lines, plugs, etc.

I replaced my 2005 GTXSC (185) pump with a 2007 RXP pump...At least thats what I understand from Riva. You should be good with any 2004+, BUT. I may remember that there were some early 2004 that had the plastic pumps in them. "leftover 2003's" ...I could be wrong here. Look in the Seadoo classifieds here.

Awesome, thank you for the replies.

+1
    yes just get any later yr jet pump with guts, you can swap over your reduction nozzle/steering nozzle.
    as long as it low hrs, like 100 or less, and the grease looks good, dont bother getting the pump housing rebuilt.
    all you need to do is swap YOUR wear ring (or a new ring for a 185 hp ski) into it and put YOUR impeller in it., the rest should bolt on easily.
    once you have it in hand, and disassemble your oem pump you wil see how easy it is.
    you will need a 12mm allen wrench, and the correct impeller tool.
    the rest of the tools are basic.
    i did my ski just like yours.

+1
    be careful the wear rings btw a 185 and a 215 ARE DIFFERENT internal diameters!!!
    make sure you reuse yours or get the right one to replace it!!
    the external diameter is the same, thats why you can exchange pumps, they are all teh same size, but the wear ring ID, and the impeller OD are bigger on the 215 hp skis.
    you need to match the 185 impeller with a 185 wear ring...

Thanks for the heads up on the wear ring difference. Guess I kind of figured that, instinctively, but good to know for sure.

Thread Information