Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3000 rpm..ENGINE VIBRATING, NO POWER AND STRIPPING SOUND.

Took my Ultra 250x out yesterday, my ski has only 6 hours on it. the ski was running great for about an hour. took a break, tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over right away, it finally turned over. i just fugured there were a few weeds in the grate that nocked loose or something. after it started it ran great again. got of checked the grate found nothing. road around for another 20-30 min. came back to the beech. when i took it back out it seemed to be idleing fine, throttled it up around 3000 rpms, it felt like the engine was going to vibrate off the ski and i got no power. it almost sounded like something was stripped loose. i was still getting a jet steam in idle so i didnt think anything was cloggong the grate. i idled it back to the ramp. on the trailer i couldnt see anything that might have been clogging the grate or impeller. took it home. hooked it up to my hose started it and it ran perfect. no vibrating at 3000rpm or higher or stripping sound. Has this ever happened to any one? any ideas? i havent taken it back to the lake yet.

+1
    Not to scare you, but HOPEFULLY its not this....

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98680

and this....

http://250xtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=536

+1
    Not firing on all four cylinders would be my first guess. usually when u rev it up it will kick in though. 6 hours, I would bet spark plugs to check for starters.

Or

Maybe you got something wedged in between prop and Ring

Thanks, i appreciate the responses. Both of those make sense. whats the best way to tell if the plugs are bad? unfortunatly the pump berrings make a lot of sense. it deffinetly sounds like something is stripped. Ksalles, how many hours were on your ski when it happened? its still under warranty, any idea if it should all be covered?

+1
    Under 30 hrs...mine isn't under warranty. I'd rather do the work myself though to be honest. I wouldn't mind them supplying the parts, but thats not even an option. I thought I sucked something in the impeller originally. Did your ski feel like you were slightly dragging something behind you in the water? Mine did after it made the initial noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnash242 View Post
    Thanks, i appreciate the responses. Both of those make sense. whats the best way to tell if the plugs are bad? unfortunatly the pump berrings make a lot of sense. it deffinetly sounds like something is stripped. Ksalles, how many hours were on your ski when it happened? its still under warranty, any idea if it should all be covered?

well from 3000rpm and up it wouldnt stop making the noise so i let off, didnt push it. it felt like it was gonna explode under me. but right at 3000 it deffinetly felt like that, like it just bogged down. and your right about doing your own work, but if i dont have to pay for i deffinatly dont mind them doing it.

+1
    When you say explode, do you mean from the shaking and vibration, or from the sound? Did you hear any whining sound coming from under you, almost like the supercharger was getting louder? Thats briefly what mine sounded like, then it shuttered a little and I shut it off. Initially, it felt like I sucked something up in the prop and the ski dropped rpm really quick. I jumped overboard and checked the intake and didn't find anything. It then ran a little slower and wouldn't rev under a load past 7400 rpm. By then the damage was done, it had already pushed the crank in and damaged the thrust bearings. I know that the least that happend to mine already. I'm hoping it never hurt the cases, crank, rods, and all the bearings as well. Time will tell on that after I pull the motor and split the cases. I'm not trying to scare you, just preparing you for what just happened to me on a meticulously maintained ski. Hopefully you never encountered the same problem. My motor will start and idle as quiet as can be, just when I rev it, I can hear the pump making noise from the impeller hitting the housing and tearing up the inside of the pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnash242 View Post
    well from 3000rpm and up it wouldnt stop making the noise so i let off, didnt push it. it felt like it was gonna explode under me. but right at 3000 it deffinetly felt like that, like it just bogged down. and your right about doing your own work, but if i dont have to pay for i deffinatly dont mind them doing it.

yeah, explode like from the Vibration. im not to sure about the sound, the best way i can describe it ,if it makes any sense is it sounded like something was spinning that wasnt connected to anything, like something was stripped. thats why i unfortunatly think you might be right. I love the ski and the way it performs and all, but for this to happen with 6 hours is pretty crappy. any reason why it was working good outside the water?

+1
    My assumption would be because it doesn't have enough load on the driveline to make it vibrate. There are two 10mm bolts that hold your supercharger belt cover on. I'd suggest taking those off and removing the cover. Its simple. Look at the coupler where the shaft connects. Look and see how much gap is between the coupling fingers. If it appears to be about 3mm or less you may have the same problem I have. Hopefully that stripping sound you heard wasn't your crank eating into your motor cases. That vibration is NOT a good sign on these skis from what I've gathered over the last week.

+1
    Here is the whole link from another site than shows the realtionship of the coupling. Read towards the bottom of the first page and the second page to see photos. HOPEFULLY THEY AREN'T NEARLY AS CLOSE AS THE PIC ON THE SECOND PAGE http://250xtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=451

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information