Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

98 Gp1200 starves for first minute

I have a 98 Gp1200. I had the carbs rebuilt at the dealer and also added a primer kit and switched to premix at the same time. First of all it takes 8 or 9 pumps on the primer before it gets gas to the carbs. Every time I go to the lake the primer tubes are full of air. Is this normal? Then when it starts I let it idle for a 1/2 minute and then give it the gas. It just bogs and doesn't go for about 15-20 seconds and then it takes off and runs great. It will continue to run fine untill I shut it off for more the an hour and then same thing. I start it up and it will seem to starve for gas for the first 20 second again. Also I noticed that the dealer installed the primer T in the on line to get fuel. The riva instructions said to put it in the reserve line so I changed it before I took it out for the first time. Any ideas what are causing these problems? The premix is 40:1 amsoil intersepter.
    Thanks,
    Budman

I know I am new and do not know a whole lot yet, but I have the same primer kit on my 99 GP1200. I can take a pic and let you see how mine is setup. I have to pump 5 to 6 times and then it takes about 5 to 10 seconds before I can really get it to get up and go. I will take a look tomorrow when I get home from work.

I just had my carbs done and i have the primer but only have to pump 2 or 3 times sometimes i dont even pump it and the ski starts up no problem, the choke plates were removed in my carbs and it was rejetted maybe that is why it starts so easy.

+1
    You never want to place your primer on the same draw line...if your primer dies...it could suck air causing a lean condition. In terms of primes...it don't really matter how many...as long as it works...it's not an issue. In terms of runing, you still have to prime the carbs...which will take a minute to get fuel going properly through the carbs. It sounds normal to me what your descirbing.

M

Ok, I think I understand now. Without the choke drawing fuel to the carbs the fuel will draw slowly. Thus the delay after start up. So is it ok to push the primer after the engine is running to eliminate this delay?
    The carb rebuild really brought this GP back to life. The power is back.
    Thanks for the info.

Budman

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    Ok, I think I understand now. Without the choke drawing fuel to the carbs the fuel will draw slowly. Thus the delay after start up. So is it ok to push the primer after the engine is running to eliminate this delay?
    The carb rebuild really brought this GP back to life. The power is back.
    Thanks for the info.

Budman
    Yup...won't hurt a thing

M

I have to breath some new life in this thread as i have the same problem.

I just completed my carb rebuild, removed choke plates, and added the primer on the res. line. After the ski has been warmed up, and then shut off for any more than about 15-30 min. it doesn't want to take the gas you give it, no matter for how long you may idle around. I'm not talking about just grabbing the throtle and gunning it. Even if you just slowly squeeze. Once you're on plane and then stop again, you can grab a whole bunch of throtle with no prob. Funny thing is, it did the same thing a long time before I did the carb rebuild, choke removal, primer etc. Can anyone shed light on this?

+1
    Also it's a good thing to always start the ski prior to the water and let it run for 10 -15 seconds which will allow the ski to idle a little higher to help fill up the carbs faster. Then dump it into the water

M

+1
    You may have a pressure leak in your fuel system, try removing your gas cap and see if it releases pressure after you have rode it, if it does ride again and let it set 15 min check again. If there is no pressure this time, you have leak somewhere that needs to be fixed. could be the tank check valve the collar around the fuel tank sending unit etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    You may have a pressure leak in your fuel system, try removing your gas cap and see if it releases pressure after you have rode it, if it does ride again and let it set 15 min check again. If there is no pressure this time, you have leak somewhere that needs to be fixed. could be the tank check valve the collar around the fuel tank sending unit etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information